Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File and transfer wiz

• Please log in to reply

duley3

duley3

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Long time know see....

Once again I'm here because I may have messed up... But here it goes

I have a home network with wireless connections.

I had a small problem with my out date laptop. I wanted to reinstall windows XP Pro in it. I first went to the file and setting transfer wizard to get all the info off before reinstalling XP. All this went just fine I saved the files that it created to another PC (desk top) though my network. The folder (usmt2.unc) is now saved. So I then reinstalled (full install) windows on the laptop all is well here also.

Now comes the problem
When I start the wizard on the laptop and point it to where the files are I get a window that comes up and states "The location that you have specified does not contain stored Info. Please type a valid folder path into the edit box."

Could someone please help me get the wizard to work?

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Sounds like the issue is really with the network. Rather than letting that get in the way, I suggest using the 'host' computer to burn the file to a CD, and then run FAST and just point it to the CDROM with the file disc inserted.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I did think of doing that.. But the file was too big for a normal cd.. So I put it on a DVD disc as data and the laptop couldn't read the disc.

I then saved the file from my desk top to the laptop though my network. I now have the file on my laptop but still get the same message about no saved info.

It really isn't that big of a deal. It's just bugs me when I can't figure something out.

Any other ideas?

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Yeah, this is the problem with 'wizards.' All or nothing. Evidently your wizard does not recognize the file. Impossible to say "why." Given your level of experience I doubt that it contains anything irreplaceable.

While it is a job to configure a clean install, it does offer the satisfaction of "getting it right this time." Perhaps others will have some further ideas.
Good luck, and enjoy your "new" laptop.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Well
I think I fixed my problem.

I had thought that the laptop was fully updated with the windows updates.
Turns out I was wrong I was miss and update KB896344. After installing this update all seems to be well. It hasn't finished yet but it is transfering the files.

I would like to thank you for your time in tring to help me. I now know a little more. But forgot something else.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Glad you got it sorted. So very many updates after new install. SP3 can't come too soon.