Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Failed System Recovery After Hard Drive Replacement

• Please log in to reply

TJ Drifter

TJ Drifter

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I purchased an HP Pavillion a1012n about two years ago, and this August, my SATA hard drive failed. I replaced it with a Western Digital EIDE hard drive. It has worked ever since using someone else's copy of Windows XP. In the meantime, I ordered recovery discs from HP to recover my system and have a valid copy of Windows since one did not come with my computer. The recovery failed.

I made my own back up discs for my documents before I began the recovery, and when given the option of Standard or Full Recovery, I chose Standard initially. It began the process and was working fine until it got to around 85% complete. It started showing me error messages: "ERROR CANNOT COPY FILE:" and all of the files began C:\Windows\I386\... My options were to either clean the disc and retry, or ignore the error. After retrying failed, I clicked ignore, but the same error occurred for HUNDREDS of files, all in the same folder. Once all of the files were ignored, the recovery completed to 100%, and the computer rebooted. After the HP screen, I received the error message that it "COULD NOT FIND FILE" and the file was something like C:\Windows/SYSTEM32... I decided to reinsert the recovery disc 1 and perform a Full System Recovery. It got up to the first page that states the full recovery will "create a partition on your hard drive that you can use in the future by holding F10 during setup." I clicked the OK button, and the screen showed an icon that said "creating partition", then immediately it said "Recovery was not successful. Please disconnect all external drives and try again. If recovery fails again, please contact support." I had no external devices connected, and I retried tons of times, and the recovery still failed.

I figured it had to be something with the discs themselves, so I contacted HP and had new ones sent since none of their suggestions on fixing the problem were relevant. The same thing happened, except I wasn't given the choice of Standard recovery because "there is no operating system or partition is corrupted." I was told CTRL Backspace offered more menu options on recovery, and I first used the option to "wipe all sectors on drive 1". After which, I used the option "create a partition on drive 1". This gave me the same first page failure as before. I wiped the drive again, and tried "create a SmartImage partition on drive 1." This started, but it got to 85% again, and could not copy needed files, rebooted after completion and gave me the error message: "Windows could not start because of an error in the software. Please report this problem as : load needed DLLs for kernel. Please contact your support person to report this problem."

Since then, I've wiped the drive, tested the RAM for defects, erased the Master Boot Record, and tried to Install Standard Mater Boot Record. (All of these were additional options.)

Sorry for this being so long; I just didn't want to miss anything in case you needed it.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
a little bit of a longshot but try getting the drive COMPLETELY clean first

To completely erase all data on the drive(s) using Darik's Boot And Nuke (DBAN)

Download

Readme.txt

Bootable CD version (ISO)
OR
Bootable Floppy/USB Version (EXE - self extracting setup)

Use

Bootable CD
  • Burn the DBAN ISO file to a CD.
    NOTE: Keep in mind that this is different than burning a file to a CD. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download CDBurnerXP Pro and install it. Then go Here for instructions for burning the ISO image
  • Reboot your PC with the DBAN CD in the CD-ROM drive.
    NOTE:Make sure the PC is set to run from the CD as the primary boot device. You do this by setting your PC to boot to the CD-ROM in BIOS (enter bios by pressing f1, f2 or del key during memory count up, then search for boot order, and set the CD as the first boot device)
  • Once you have successfully booted to the DBAN disk, type

Autonuke

• Once the process is completed you may run it again as many times as it takes for you to feel comfortable, but my experience shows that twice is plenty (unless you usually walk around your house in a tinfoil hat so that the government's spies cannot intrude into your thoughts and steal all of your secrets)
Bootable Floppy/USB
  • Double click the DBAN EXE file that you just downloaded to execute it
  • Choose the drive that you would like to install DBAN on (A: for a Floppy or whatever letter is assigned to your chosen USB device)
  • Press Install
  • Reboot your PC with the DBAN Floppy in the Floppy drive or your USB device attached to an open USB port.
    NOTE:Make sure the PC is set to run from the Floppy or USB device as the primary boot device. You do this by setting your PC to boot to the Floppy or USB device in BIOS (enter bios by pressing f1, f2 or del key during memory count up, then search for boot order, and set the Floppy or USB device as the first boot device)
  • Once you have successfully booted to the DBAN disk, type

Autonuke

• Once the process is completed you may run it again as many times as it takes for you to feel comfortable, but my experience shows that twice is plenty (unless you usually walk around your house in a tinfoil hat so that the government's spies cannot intrude into your thoughts and steal all of your secrets)

IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE TO LABEL YOUR DBAN DISK CLEARLY AS ACCIDENTAL USE WILL BE CATASTROPHIC!

then try running the recovery disk again....if this doesn't work...you MIGHT need to go out and buy a retail version of XP to reinstall