Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! Defrag Wont Work

• Please log in to reply

T.T3chy

T.T3chy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey,

I am new to this forum, and thought that maybe you guys could help.
I went to defrag a laptop that has XP Home as the OS. When i selected it from the system tools menu, it seamed to work fine ( Like i said the gui loaded ). However, When i select the "Analyze" or the "Defragment" buttons, i get no form of response. The operation doesnt start, and i dont get an error msg. all i have to say is WTH? I have done alot of Trouble Shooting for windows OS before, but have never come across this one.

Any help would be awesome.

TY,
T.T3chy

Edited by T.T3chy, 08 December 2007 - 04:30 PM.

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Native XP defrag function depends on the DCOM Server Process Launcher Service, and is supported by Windows Management Instrumentation Service.

For access, simply type services.msc into a Run box and OK.
Find the two Services on the list, right click>Properties, and set them both to "Automatic". Reboot. Defrag should now work.

Altering Services settings is the quickest way to create "mysteries" in XP. My 2 favorite references follow. Compare and contrast to determine your needs:

http://www.theelderg...vices_guide.htm
http://www.blackvipe.../servicecfg.htm

When in any doubt, just set to "Manual." That way System can start it if required.