Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need new mobo

• Please log in to reply

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
OK so my mobo died again for the 3rd time and now I am convinced that Asus sucks. I was looking at getting a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L or a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R but I haven't found the difference between these 2 boards. Notice that the second one doesn't have the C after P35 thats because its not the DDR3 version but the normal DDR2 version. Can someone tell me what the difference is from experience, is there a better overclocking board for the price range of $100- $150 CAD. I am buying from canadacomputers.com so please refer there.

Thanks

Soorena

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The P35-DS3L version has no onboard RAID function, less SATA ports, and a smaller northbridge heatsink.

The P35C-DS3R has two-year manufacturer's warranty to the P35-DS3R's one-year warranty, otherwise they are the same.

That's all I could find, I love spot-the-difference!

I would go with the P35C-DS3R, only a few extra dollars for an extra year's warranty. If you want to look elsewhere, MSI has this one for a little over your budget, and it looks like it has some serious onboard chipset cooling :)

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I don really mind the warranty cause I will upgrade by the time its over. All I want to know is whether or not the cheaper GA-P35-DS3L can overclock better than my current P5N- E SLI. If not then whats the next cheapest one I don't mind if its not Gigabyte. The reason I want it in that price range is because I have other things planned out for boxing day and now this happens and I will short of budget if I go overboard.

Soorena

EDIT: By the way I don't use RAID and I only have one SATA drive since my cousin is using my other one as an external.

Edited by SOORENA, 09 December 2007 - 09:53 AM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
One other question would be if the option of Linked and Unlinked memory/cpu is available on the P35s because I know my P5N-E SLI had it.

Soorena

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Actually the largest difference between the P35-DS3R and P35-DS3L is one has DDR2/3 support the other only has DDR2 support.

The P35C-DS3R is a revision board.
The major difference between the P35-DS3R is the back plate.

No there is no Unlinked/linked options on the P35 boards, this feature is exclusive the the nVidia chipset.

If I were you I'd pick up the GA-P35-DS3L, it can be found for 92$ on the web.
James

Edited by james_8970, 10 December 2007 - 09:06 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Yea thanks for your help both of you, I need my computer for Wednesday so I'm just gonna stop by the store and pick it up. Now there is another problem an that is what do I do with the old mobo :). I think canadacomputers will replace it since it happened 2 other times and they didn't ask why it happened, so now I don't know what to do with it. I mean my mom's computer is a socket 478 and my cousin's is a HP that she doesn't wanna open up, (don't tell her but I opened it once),

Soorena

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Try an exchange because of the problems you have had with the board, they probably won't argue.
James

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Try an exchange because of the problems you have had with the board, they probably won't argue.
James

I think you misunderstood, lol, I know for a fact that they will exchange its just that I don't know what to do with the board since I have no place for it when I get the P35t.

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 10 December 2007 - 09:54 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I'm still lost. If you exchange the old board, you won't have your old board in your possessions.
I might be being dense, I have studied lots today and my mind is going amiss.
James

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Lol, I hope I didn't make it worse. Anyways my board still has the warranty and I will get a new one today since they replaced it two other times and without a doubt they will do it again, but since I am tired of the 650i I am gonna just buy another Mobo which is the P35, since they don't refund or exchange. So I will have 2 mobos while I only need one.

Soorena

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

I'm still lost. If you exchange the old board, you won't have your old board in your possessions.
I might be being dense, I have studied lots today and my mind is going amiss.
James

No, you sound right on the money to me also! :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I know for a []bfact that they will exchange[/b] its just that I don't know what to do with the board since I have no place for it when I get the P35t.

but since I am tired of the 650i I am gonna just buy another Mobo which is the P35, since they don't refund or exchange.

Your saying two different things here :)
Check if they will exchange the 650i board for a P35 board as you have had numerous problems with that board. Maybe they'll take you up one it, you'll never know till you ask.
I'd understand why they wouldn't except changes though, because you basically getting a upgrade for cheaper (if someone cheated the system).
I honestly have no idea how you have such bad luck, wasn't you that had the PSU take out your motherboard in June as well.
James

Edited by james_8970, 11 December 2007 - 10:16 AM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Yes that was the first time it went out, lol. Anyways I'm going in a couple of minutes so I'll ask but even if they do replace my 650i with a new one I will still get the P35 since I don't trust Asus anymore. I'll just keep the 650i for when I upgrade my current PC cause even when I get an 8800 or something else I don't know what to do with my 1950, maybe I'll combine them and give them to my cousin or my mom.

Soorena

Edited by SOORENA, 11 December 2007 - 03:55 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Alright I have officialy joined the P35 club, lol. I think both of you have a P35 am I right? Anyways there are millions of options in the BIOS which is good and I am so glad that I went with the P35-DS3R not the P35-DS3L which lacks some stuff. I had a sudden budget change thanks to my gf which came over for no reason, talk about luck, lol. The 650i will be back in 4-5 weeks as they said which seems to me to be too long, I would say maybe 3-4 weeks tops.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Soorena

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
P35 club, eh? Yep, I'm a member :)

So more to the point - is your system running well now?