Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need new mobo

• Please log in to reply

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Well I still have to tweak with the OC options but my system is much faster for some reason. What pissed me off was that I was up till 2 am trying to put my Maxtor drive as master and my Western Digital as slave but it just wouldn't work. I tried 3 different cables and still nothing, then I just thought maybe there is something special about the Gigabyet IDE cable and what do you know there was, lol. But overall it is pretty good, I will have to buy a new SATA DVD drive but thats fine they're only 50 bucks the most.

Soorena

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Anyways there are millions of options in the BIOS which is good and I am so glad that I went with the P35-DS3R not the P35-DS3L which lacks some stuff.

:) you haven't seen a DFI board then, that my next upgrade, DFI x38 (maybe even x48), that'll be later on next year though.
You can get a good SATA drive at NCIX for 30$.
James

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I know how amazing DFIs are I used to have one, but then I sold that PC and now I have this, lol. Anyways I'm having problems with OCing I managed to unlock the memory timings but I don't know what to set everything at. Before my mobo did all this automatically but now that I have to do it manually its kinda hard. I wanna reach 3.2 Ghz for now and then once I know how it works I'll up it some more.

Soorena

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you want to change the memory timings or divider you need to press Ctrl + F1 at the main BIOS screen.
I'd suggest loosening you RAM to 5-5-5-15 and running it at a 1:1 (it's listed as a 2x multiplier in the gigabyte BIOS) while overclocking, also be sure it's running at it's stock voltages. This way, if you get a blue screen you'll know your pushing your Northbridge or CPU to hard and either need to increase voltages, back down, increase cooling (since you have watercooling this shouldn't be an issue).
Then once you get your CPU to the speed you wanted, tighten up your RAM timings and incrase the frequency.
James

Edited by james_8970, 12 December 2007 - 03:05 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Sorry I haven't replied back yet guys. Ok I figured out how it works. I just leave the voltage on auto and then change the ratio to 1:1 and then I change the FSB which fixes everything. I have reached 3.8 for now with an FSB of 423, I guess I'll try to go further later on. The mobo overclocks very easily I really like it. Thanks for all your help guys.

Soorena

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I just leave the voltage on auto

Try to remove EVERY auto setting, yes it raises the voltage to make your system stable, but in many cases it raises the voltage a WAY to high which will lead to your processor being warmer then it should. Considering you have watercooling, this shouldn't be much of a problem, but with increased voltages, comes decreased CPU lifespan. The same applies for all other hardware.

Running your CPU at 3.8GHz on auto voltage is an extememly bad idea, have you looked at your temps? The gigabyte board is probably really over volting your processor and even with water cooling your CPU might be exceeding 60*C.
James

Edited by james_8970, 14 December 2007 - 01:20 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I haven't checked no. I haven't games either to see if it shuts off, I'll try it I guess. What should I set the voltages to then?

Soorena

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
1.35 is the stock voltage.
James