Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can I access a DOS based PC on my Windows Network

• Please log in to reply

Steve McCarron

Steve McCarron

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Can some kind soul tell me how I would go about setting up Windows to read a DOS based computer on a home network. I want to set up an old DOS box to uses as extra storage space. I have 2 40 gig drives I want to put in it, but for some reason I cannot install windows on this PC, still working on that problem.

Can anyone suggest some options please

Many thanks,

Steve

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Google is your friend.
http://www.dendarii....Qs/dos-net.html might be of interest. Not possible on its own but with extra help it should be possible.
Of course, a far pertinent solution is to find out why you can't get Windows on it.

Steve McCarron

Steve McCarron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Neil: Many thanks for the reply to my question. I will have a look at the link.

Steve

ronsmith

ronsmith

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Google is your friend.
http://www.dendarii....Qs/dos-net.html might be of interest. Not possible on its own but with extra help it should be possible.
Of course, a far pertinent solution is to find out why you can't get Windows on it.

Thanks for that link... I have the same problem but my desire to network the DOS PC maybe be even *more* pertinent :)

I have a large expensive CNC machine that is about ten years old and the controller on the machine will only "talk" to a dos pc. If we back to 95 or so we can run the PC program in a DOS window and still network with 95 but the means we wont have xp when we need it.

I dont suppose there is a way to partition OSs for on-the-fly switching is here? that way I could go XP and dos on the same computer and forget networking entirely.

Thanks

Ron