Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer not booting, or recognizing memory upgrade?

• Please log in to reply

Charliee03

Charliee03

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
My computer is a HP Pavilion model number : a1312n

and I bought this memory off of newegg : http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820144157

I've inserted 1 of the gigs with the standard 512MB chip, and the monitor turns on very fuzzy, (its not a wire/or physical connection with the monitor problem) and doesn't boot up. So, just wondering if the memory I bought matches the motherboard for my PC.

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
That does look like the right memory. You could have gotten some bad sticks or they are not seated securely. Make sure that they are pushed down all the way until the white clips have snapped into place. If they are seated correctly, take one out a a time and test the computer after you take out each. See if you can identify a stick that is causing problems.

Charliee03

Charliee03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I've done that, still no go. I duno what the problem is

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
I'd like for you to do a memory test, use the following guide for information on that: http://keith.geekstogo.com/memtest.htm and check here for download options: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Edited by Gravity Gripp, 10 December 2007 - 10:24 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If I understood correctly you used one of the new modules which is 1G with an old module which is 512MB. If the BIOS is set to work in dual mode this will not work because you need two identical modules. Another possibility is that the new and old modules differ in speed and latencies.

1: Try to insert the two new modules and see if the computer works.
2: If you wish to run only 1.5G check in the BIOS that the computer is set to single mode.
3: Set the BIOS to default values.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
The Skeptic has beaten me to it here as I was about to suggest the same thing. The symptom you described (fuzzy picture) is typical of a memory mismatch. i.e 2 sticks of ram (in your case, the 512MB & the new 1GB) that will each work perfectly on their own but not together.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
It's so true that you learn something new every day :) I've never had a computer that required matched RAM, so I've never experienced that. Thanks guys.

Charliee03

Charliee03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I've tried inserting the new 1 GIG memory stick alone still doesn't work. I tried put both new gigs in at the same time, still doesn't work.

:) , I didn't do anything with the Bios though.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have a look at this link to HP. It tells you that required speed of the memory to this computer is PC3200, with modules of 240 pin, which equals to DDR2. Normally, when a computer cannot support higher speed modules (the ones you boight are PC4200) it simply runs it on lower speed.

Have a look at your BIOS and set it to default values. If still no good you may have to set the memory parameners manually in the BIOS. For this you will need the specifications for your Kingstone modules.

cloudy323

cloudy323

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I ordered a 1GB G Skill DDR2 PC2 4200 stick from Newegg and it is on the way. I will put it in my a1312n which is the same one as yours. I will let you know what it turns out.

Advertisements

Charliee03

Charliee03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Have a look at your BIOS and set it to default values. If still no good you may have to set the memory parameners manually in the BIOS. For this you will need the specifications for your Kingstone modules.

How exactly do I look at the BIOS and, what am I looking for.. I'm not that computer literate when it comes to this stuff.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Boot the computer and enter into the BIOS menu by repeatedly tapping the DEL or F2 keys. Sometimes it's another key. If you do not succeed, press the PAUSE key as soon as you see the first boot screen. Read and follow the instructions about how to enter SETUP.

When entering the BIOS navigate your may following the instructions. Usually you use the arrow keys, Tab and + - keys. Usually you will see the option to set to default value either as an item in the main BIOS screen or in the Exit menu.

cloudy323

cloudy323

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, Charliee, My G.Skill memory stick just came. I want to let you know if this can help you.

I just put the G.Skill 1GB 533 PC2-4200 in my computer. I am using the computer with this new stick. No problem. Do not need to change anything. As you know, I have a HP Pavilion a1312n. I just pull out the old 512 stick and put the new one in the original slot. So far it worked fine. I did not neccessarily notice any difference, although I felt it is faster.

I bought this G.Skill the cheapest one on Newegg. you can find it on Newegg. 19.9 bucks + shipping. Major specifications are the same to yours ValueRam. But I do not know if there are minor diferences, such as 'Density' or 'CS'. I am not computer gurus. I almost bought a DDR instead of DDR2 few days ago, with CRUCIAL memory scan telling me that i am using a DDR.

I am going to put my old 512 Samsung stick in another slot now and let you know the result, if my computer do not blow up:).

cloudy323

cloudy323

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay, Charliee. I am back again. I just put in the old Samsung 512MB stick in the second memory slot and i booted the computer and I am using the computer now. No problems. I do not have to change anything.

I just run again CRUCIAL memory scan. this is the result:

1024 MB DDR PC2-5200 512 MB DDR PC2-3200 Maximum Memory Capacity: 1048576 MB
Currently Installed Memory: 1536 MB
Available Memory Slots: N.A.
Number of Banks: 2
Dual Channel Support: N.A.
CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
CPU Family: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.06GHz Model 4, Stepping 9
CPU Speed: 3065 MHz

Therefore, as far as the results by CRUCIAL memory scanner, it is incorrect that the memory stick in firts slot is DDR PC2 5200. As it specified on the stick, it is DDR2 PC2-4200.

Hope this can help you. The orientation of the second stick is different than the first one, in my case, in that, the side of stick with those square chips on it face AWAY from each other, make sure you do not damage your sticks trying pushing in.

Charliee03

Charliee03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
^^ Thanks man, that helps out, Whats the link to the memory stick you purchased, and do you know if I can return the memory stick I bought from them?