Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

8600gt or 7900gt?

• Please log in to reply

georgewashington16

georgewashington16

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
I was wondering which card would be a better purchase taking into account that I will not be using directx 10. I have a 450 watt psu but I was just wondering if I ever got SLI, would the PSU wattage increase if I took out A DVD drive, a fax card, and a tv tuner. Also, If you have less wattage than is recommended will it degrade the performance of the card or is it one of those things that will either work or it wont work? Thank you.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Not only will it degrade the performance of the card but it can easily damage the card and cause your system to be unstable. You will need a PSU upgrade. Removing your DVD drives will not help, they take almost no power compared to these high end cards.

kenichi_kun

kenichi_kun

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi georgewashington, removing your cd drive would only allow for about 15 to 20 watts at most. It is best to upgrade your power supply to at least 550 watts or more and the 7900gt is a faster card but its older than the 8600gt, the only real plus with the 8600gt is directx 10 and thats about it. But as you stated you don't care for directx 10 so the 7900gt card is a good buy, but if you want to save some money get the 7900gs it can overclock to 7900gt speeds for about $30 to $50 less. Well thats my 2 cents, good luck man. This forum rules!!!!