Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help! Not on network anymore (used pc)

• Please log in to reply

queencastle1969

queencastle1969

• Pip
  • 2 posts
<_< Help! I was given a used computer that used to be used in an office on a network. It is now used as a stand alone computer for my personal use. My profile works (I have administrative profile) without problems but when I try to set up a new user profile for other family members I get an error 1706. The windows installer will not install Windows 2000 SR-1 premium under the new user profile. How can I fix this? Would I be better off wiping out the computer and reinstalling Windows XP and Microsoft 2000? Or can I fix this problem without having to start over? How do I wipe out computer and start over if I need to? Can I change the setup to stand alone and not part of a network? Do I need to get a computer professional to reconfigure my computer? Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Hi queencastle1969, welcome <_<

Would I be better off wiping out the computer and reinstalling Windows XP and Microsoft 2000?

That's what I'd recommend.

How do I wipe out computer and start over if I need to?

Try this guide: http://www.blackvipe...stallxppro1.htm

queencastle1969

queencastle1969

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you! <_<