Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bad windwows my disks(and unsupported)

• Please log in to reply

ashleysm

ashleysm

• Pip
  • 1 posts
my girlfriend has a 4 you old HP that came with windows ME. A year ago it started running very slow. She has avg, and runs spybot and Adaware consistently. I upgraded her computer to windows XP. Her computer was still painfully slow. I tried to restore her computer using the option to erase the hard drive and the disks failed. (I tried before to restore the computer before without erasing , but it didn't help). Now her computer won't work at all. It keeps comin up with the windows starting screen and switches to the "what mode do you want screen". Any selection causes the computer to just keep recycling thru the same thing

I didn't explain that when I put in the restore disks, I get a can't read error

My questions are;

Can I get an HP disk that works (called HP and they said no)
can I get another operating system (unix?)

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Is the XP cd a upgrade only disk or an OEM disk.
I assume the restore disks are ME disks.

Have you tried booting from the XP cd? That will give you a reformat/ partition/ install.

As for slow, that can be age of the comp and the minimum requirements of XP.

Oh and welcome to geeks to go.