Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Free, INSTANT RSS updates possible?

• Please log in to reply

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
HI everyone,
I need help finding an addon for FF/program that gives me a notification AS SOON as a RSS feed is updated. The built-in firefox one doesn't update instantly and doesn't show a notification and those are two things I would like the app to do.
It would be a bonus if it's freeware.

Does anyone know which program(s) would suit me?

Thanks

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Have you thought of having an RSS reader outside of the web-browser, like the one you can put on the Vista sidebar? You may like to try the free 'Google Desktop' which gives your XP a Vista-like sidebar only with dozens more gadgets. And Google's own RSS reader gadget updates itself -- it 's called the 'Google Desktop Webclips Gadget' and of all the RSS readers available for the sidebar I find that one is the best. Plus it's instantly available to view whatever web-browser you use.

You can get Google Desktop here: http://desktop.google.com/en/

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Have you thought of having an RSS reader outside of the web-browser, like the one you can put on the Vista sidebar? You may like to try the free 'Google Desktop' which gives your XP a Vista-like sidebar only with dozens more gadgets. And Google's own RSS reader gadget updates itself -- it 's called the 'Google Desktop Webclips Gadget' and of all the RSS readers available for the sidebar I find that one is the best. Plus it's instantly available to view whatever web-browser you use.

You can get Google Desktop here: http://desktop.google.com/en/

Does it update INSTANTLY or every 10mins, 30mins or so?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
With all due respect, I think you've misunderstood the idea behind RSS.
RSS is not designed for real-time updates. Most clients will not pick up on something that's been updated straight away, plus its a drain on the site's bandwidth for surfers constantly hitting it for the latest versions. There will always be a delay of some sort.

Edited by Neil Jones, 09 December 2007 - 02:03 PM.

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

With all due respect, I think you've misunderstood the idea behind RSS.
RSS is not designed for real-time updates. Most clients will not pick up on something that's been updated straight away, plus its a drain on the site's bandwidth for surfers constantly hitting it for the latest versions. There will always be a delay of some sort.

No offence taken.
I know that it isn't really made for real time updates but there must be some way to get instant updates without putting a load on the site's bandwidth.
But surely RSS does/should work like email? The recipient of the email receives an email as soon as the new one is created and sent. What about replacing the email with a blog post and the "recipients" the RSS subscribers? Surely if the server simply sends out a notification when something new is posted no unnecessary stress would be placed on the server?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
RSS makes it possible for people to keep up with their favourite web sites in an automated manner that's easier than checking them manually.

RSS content can be read using software called an "RSS reader", "feed reader" or an "aggregator". The user subscribes to a feed by entering the feed's link into the reader or by clicking an RSS icon in a browser that initiates the subscription process. The reader checks the user's subscribed feeds regularly for new content, downloading any updates that it finds.

Technically there is no such thing as real time because of the nature of the Internet - anything sent, received or checked for is inevitably going to be delayed somewhere, even by just a few seconds. Even Email isn't real time, and quite regularly gets stuck in a queue somewhere for hours on end. Servers don't send anything out when an RSS feed is updated - its up to the program you're using to check for updates. But if you're using a program set to check every second, then that can be incredibly anti-social and will probably get you banned from said site.