Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Some Quick Help with Speaker Setup

• Please log in to reply

phatjo911

phatjo911

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I'm thinking of getting the Logitech X-540 5.1 Set
But I've heard that the subwoofer being directed at the ground could cause vibrations, which could mess up the HDD

I'm thinking of having my case ( currently on the floor ) raised by about .5 ~ 1cm by puttin books under it, then having a .5 cm thick soft foam between the books and the case to absorb the vibrations.

Is it even true that the subwoofer's vibrations could damage the HDD?

I have a Western Digital 500GB

( oh and I have a Realtek HD Audio onboard my Gigabyte 965P-DS3. Do you think this would be better than getting a cheap sound card or should I get a nice one? Or keep the Realtek? )

Thx

Edited by phatjo911, 09 December 2007 - 08:03 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Well phatjo911, it would take a mighty large loudspeaker indeed to damage a modern quality-made hard disk unit -- something like the one Micheal J Fox was using for his guitar in 'Back To The Future', so I think your fears on that score are misguided. By all means lift your PC case an inch or two off the floor, but sit it on something firm, hard and solid (mine sits on a piece of shelving board 12 x 24-inches) so air can circulate underneath it to aid cooling. Sitting it on foam will cause the feet of the case to sink into it, leaving no airspace whatsoever. And using books will look very unprofessional and unstable -- it wouldn't do for me.

Edited by pip22, 09 December 2007 - 10:23 AM.