Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Vista Home Basic update KB941649 - Nightmare

• Please log in to reply

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Hi folks,

I've attempted to download/install this KB941649 "important update" that appears in the Microsoft alert on this machine.
The installation proceeds as expected.
Then I am prompted to restart the computer.
When restarted there is an extended period of time during which I see the "Configuring Updates" notification.
Then Windows Vista Home Basic goes to "Shutting Down" and hangs there for a couple of minutes before initiating the re-boot sequence .
During the re-boot, I get a Please Wait for less than 1 minute, and then "Configuring updates..." for another couple of minutes. Then Vista shuts down a third time, before rebooting to the Vista login screen.
Again, I get the "Please Wait" and "Configuring updates..." alerts before getting to Login Screen.

Upon logging in I get the "Important Update" icon in the notification area of the try again.
It shows "Update fore Windows Vista (KB941649)" and if I select the download, the entire process repeats.

In View Update History, I have multiple instances of "failed" for KB941649 update (recommended).
In View Update History, I have (2) two instances of "Successful" for KB941649 update (Important).

I continue to be prompted to download the KB941649 update.

What I've tried:

I moved the entire contents of C:\Windows\Software Distribution\Download\ To a temporary Folder.
Upon attempting the KB641649 update, it repopulates the C:\Windows\Software Distribution\Download\ with this update's downloaded files.

I've Run IE as Administrator and gone through the above.... same result.

I've successfully Registered from cmd line Regsvr32 wmiutils.dll
I've used the following to Run the cmd Regsvr32 as Administrator
Click Start > type cmd in the Start Search box > right-click cmd in the
Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.

I've gone to MS to download KB941649 with the Standalone Installer, completing the Validation - Download - Save - Open ----- initiates the above sequence again.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941649
Download information
The following files are available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
DownloadDownload the update for Windows Vista x86-based versions (KB941649) package now.

and
http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

Anybody else have this difficulty?
Anything else I should try?

Thanks

Advertisements

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
I decided to set View Available Updates to not include Optional (generally includes drivers)
(Optional generally includes drivers and I prefer to get drivers elsewhere anyway)

So now the Update Notification doesn't appear anymore, but if I go to MS Updates, KB941648 continues to be offered as a recommended update.

I don't consider this to be a "satisfactory" resolution, but the "nag" no longer appears.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hi Doug,

I found somewhat of a solution you could try (translated from non-native English):
  • You must be using an administrator account
  • Click Start | Run, type sfc /scannow, and press Enter
  • The scan should take 10-20 minutes, afterwards reboot the system
  • Go to windows updates and install KB941649 then reboot (if not prompted)
  • Go to windows updates and install KB941600, then reboot (if not prompted)
  • All the problems should be "dead" (or fixed haha)
I will not guarantee it works, just a possible fix.

Regards,

Ax

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Hey Ax,

Sorry it's been like a month since I looked in on this thread.
I wonder why I didn't get an email notification of your reply?
I do remember the board having some difficulties during that time period.

I very much appreciate that you found a possible fix.

Unfortunately, the matter is moot at this time, since I have returned the machine to its owner.
Happily, the owner is reporting continued good function after my minor repair of other items related to the machine.

Thanks much.

Doug