Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Anti static wrsitband?

• Please log in to reply

Klaus5000

Klaus5000

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Well i know i need one, and will buy one for my build, but could someone explain what it does and how to use them?
Thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Ant-static wristbands are designed to remove all static electricity from the body by grounding yourself to the computer case via crocodile clips.
Personally I see them as pointless gimmicks, because I would argue that a component can die in six different ways, none of which have any bearing on whether I was wearing an anti-static device or not: 1) Dead on arrival at supplier. 2) Dead on arrival to you via rough mail handling. 3) Killed by the power supply. 4) Killed by people who don't know what they're doing and fiddle inside when the computer is running. 5) Dropped. 6) Old age. I have never known a component to die just because I haven't grounded myself.

Edited by Neil Jones, 09 December 2007 - 01:59 PM.

Klaus5000

Klaus5000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Ah, so is it a pointless exercise buying one for my build? Shall i just touch a metal object like the case?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The best thing you can do is to stay in contact with the case as you build it.
Also, do not do the build while standing on carpet. If you walk across carpet, then touch the case prior to touching the components.

Static will take out components, how much is unknown. In my job, I use a static strap OR touch the case while handling the components. This is more a "showing" for my customers than anything. I have yet to know of a component failure because I didn't follow those steps.

Klaus5000

Klaus5000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Ah, so would a tiled kitchen floor be best place to build, on a wooden surface?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Better than a carpet that is very static prone.

Klaus5000

Klaus5000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I wont wear any socks then heh.. Well thank you, my mum bought a wristband anyway, but its good to know other facts.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
I could say that I am sorry to disagree, but the fact is that anti-static precautions can save damage to devices and it is important to understand that and the risk of dealing with devices without protection. One thing you need to understand is that damage does not always mean not working. Consider a copper water pipe, you can damage the outside and the pipe will still function, but over time the damage can cause the pipe to fail. Some sensitive devices could be destroyed right off, but that is not what most people would be dealing with. The devices being on a circuit board help to protect the device too.

To properly use an anti-static wristband, you really also need an anti-static mat. The mat gets grounded to ground and the wristband gets attached to the mat. The computer should be on the mat and all containers should be placed on the mat prior to opening. You should not wear clothing which could touch the devices or computer as it can build up a charge which may not be discharged just because you are grounded and are wearing it.

If you only attach the wrist strap to the computer, then all you are doing is to keep the same charge between you and the computer case, which is better than nothing, but is not the proper way to do it. With that being said, you can get away with not using any anti-static protection and generally you not know what, if any, damage has occurred. I don't always use anti-static protection, but I also know the risk that I am taking and do tend to keep in contact with the case and use the case to set any containers for new devices.

Klaus5000

Klaus5000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Any ideas where to get one of these mats? i have wristband on order now.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
I don't know. I got mine from work. There are different types, depending on what you are looking for. There is a kit for field service and then there is a lab mat which is better, but is larger and takes up more space.

I did a web search and there are many places which carry them, for example a field service kit:

http://anti-staticma...dServiceKit.htm
http://elexp.com/ant_8501.htm

This has the FS kits and lab mats:

http://www.apogeekit...ic_products.htm