Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lighting errors in some screensavers

• Please log in to reply

Beanbandit27

Beanbandit27

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I just downloaded some screensavers and for some reason I'm getting some bad rendering, especially in the lighting effects and square pictures in the lower left hand of the screen. I am seeing blocky horizontal lines in the pictures and in the lighting effects.

http://www.digiminds...llery-63i1.html

the above link is pictures of what the screensaver should look like.

I have downloaded the latest drivers for my graphics card and also downloaded the latest DirectX 9 updates for my computer and have set my graphics card for high performance (as opposed to high quality). That seems to have helped a little, but the errors are still there. And on top of that, the errors don't show all the time. Once in a while, the rendering is perfect. Can someone shed some light on this one?? I think solving this problem will greatly help me understand graphics more.

Specs:
AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
EVGA Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS
Gigabyte GA-7N400-L Motherboard
512 ddr dual-channel ram
Rosewill 500 watt power supply

:)

Advertisements

techpro5238

techpro5238

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Try it with a KNOWN working graphics card, make sure on your cable to the monitor that there are 15 pins in rows of 5. Try a KNOWN working monitor also, to see if the monitor is the error. Do each one in order to box it down to see which one this error is resulting from :)

Beanbandit27

Beanbandit27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
The graphics card is less then 3 months old. It definitely is working correctly. The monitor definitely is working correctly, however there is not a plug with 15 pins in rows of 5. I have a plug that has 13 pins. There is a row of 4 followed by a row of 5, followed by another row of 4. What does that mean? The monitor supports a resolution of 1280x768. Shouldn't that be sufficient for the screensaver? The required specs are located on the link below...

http://www.digiminds...ensaver-63.html

Edited by Beanbandit27, 09 December 2007 - 09:51 PM.

Beanbandit27

Beanbandit27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
It helps when a person sets the refresh rate to the correct setting. The display looked normal, but for some reason the refresh rate was set way too low for the resolution that was using. Once this was set correctly, the screensaver seems to render everything correctly everytime.

techpro5238

techpro5238

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
You should still test this as hardware failure can happen at any time. It dosen't matter if it just came out of the box or has been running for 5 years, you are running on a different cable so don't worry about it. Still test it with another monitor and video card, I will move on to more steps after we cut those out.

Beanbandit27

Beanbandit27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Everything checks out fine. thank you for your help. I would consider this issue resolved.