Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP sluggish/slow and IE freezes and/or shuts down

• Please log in to reply

Chemical05

Chemical05

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
hi,
I am running Win XP Pro and it is running very slow when pulling up web pages, I have DSL and it is taking a lot longer to pull up most pages than it use to, also my SecondLife is also very slow. I had a problem with viruses but I think I got that taken care of at http://www.geekstogo...er-t175481.html.
Can anyone offer any suggestions on diagnostic tools I can use to see why it is running slow. My initial guess my be that there isn't enough HD cache or too many background programs running that aren't necessary. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael

Advertisements

techpro5238

techpro5238

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
It has come to my attention that you may be experiencing difficulties with your speed or space so here is a list created of things to do. The first program I would like you to download is CCleaner which cleans your system of all unnecessary files. I would like you to install CCleaner and make the main page look like this:

Posted Image

After setting these options click "Run Cleaner".

Then go to the Registry Tab and click scan for issues. Click yes and save a backup of your Registry and then click Fix All.

After doing the CCleaner work I would like you go to if you are using XP:
  • Start
  • Run
  • Type in MSconfig and click Ok
If you are using Vista I would like you to go to:
  • Vista Start Globe Posted Image
  • In the search bar type in MSconfig and hit the Enter Key
After doing so I would like you to go to the Startup Tab and untick (uncheck) anything that you believe is not needed for startup. REMEMBER, if you do not know what you are unchecking don't uncheck it. Go to Google and look up the start up process or exe file. After you are done with this tab, I would like you to go to the Services Tab and check Hide All Microsoft Services. Then check what you believe is unnecessary, but also REMEMBER, if you do not know what it is, DON'T touch it.

Lastly, I would like you to download a program called Auslogics Disk Defrag. I would like then like you to run it on all local hard drives and partitions. Afterwards you will have a much cleaner, better working system.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It has come to my attention that you might have a heat or voltage issue with your computer. We can not assume that it is one of these so we will go ahead and check. I would like you to download and install the program Speedfan. When you are done installing Speedfan open and look for 3 columns. One should have temperatures, the other should have voltages, and the last one should contain your fan speeds. When you have found this information please post to me in a column such as this: (Example)

Temperatures

Temp1: 30 C
Temp2: 60 C
HD0: 44 C

Voltages (only for desktops)

5.5V: 5.5
3.33V: 3.24

Fan Speeds

Speed1: 2480 RPM

(Remember this is just an example, please post your exact information)

If you are running on a Dell Laptop please follow these steps then post your temperatures, voltages, and fan speeds:
  • Open Speedfan
  • Click Configure on the Main Screen
  • Go to the Options Tab
  • Check the: "Enable DELL Support (use this function only on DELL notebooks)" check box
  • Click Ok then Close Speedfan
  • Start Speedfan once again
Then post your temperatures, voltages, and fan speeds.