Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

ASUS mother board issues

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Have an ASUS A7V400-MX mother board, and was wondering if I could get some help overclocking it. I noticed when I run Task Manager in the performance tab, I am only using about 250 to 300mb of 2gb of of ram. When I try and multi-task windows, my system gets extreamly slow :) . Here is a list of my hardware.

ASUS A7V400-MX mother board
AMD Athlon XP2000+ @1.66GHZ
XP Pro with SP2
2GB PC3200 Dual Channel RAM
e-GForce 7300GT w/512MB DDR2 RAM video card

It just seems like this system should be able to use much more of the RAM that I have, and think I may have the CMOS configured wrong (CMOS is what it goes to on initial boot when you hit del to set up the mother board right?). I leave the case open to help keep things cool, and also have a heat sink fan on the CPU, so I dont think heat will be much of an issue as long as I dont get to crazy with overclocking. Besides, I have heard that AMD chips respond well to overclocking, unlike Intel chips. Atleast thats what the network admin buddy says. I have also been told I could over clock my system to about 2.0 ghz reliably, as ling as I keep an eye on temps. The case I have has temp reading for case temps, and CPU temps, so keeping an eye on it shouldent be a problem. I also regularly clean it out of the "dust bunnies" that it build with compresed air, at about 60psi from the garage compressor.

Thanks in advance for any help rendered!

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Look here for info on how to overclock.

Also, multitasking efficiency is affected by the processor speed, not the RAM. RAM just speeds up the time it takes to load programs and smoothly execute programs.