Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Shutdowns, Please Help

• Please log in to reply

Cyos

Cyos

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello.

Recently, I've been having a very serious problem with my computer - it just shuts down. No warning, no error messages, not a thing indicating any problem what so ever - my PC just turns off. Poof, gone, screen goes black, fans stop, all with no warning. My monitor, speakers, and external hard drive all stay on just fine, but without my PC... well, you see my problem.

This has been happening for four or five days now. Sometimes I can go several hours, sometimes I don't even get to the logon screen.

I'm running:

Windows Vista Home Premium
Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz
2 GB DDR2 RAM
320 GB Seagate Hard Drive
EVGA 8800GTS 640 MB
ASUS P5N-E SLI Mobo

So what on earth is the problem?

Please help, I can't live like this!

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Cyos, 09 December 2007 - 07:17 PM.

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
It could be is that it is overheating. If you have a desktop, open the side of the computer and blow it out with some compressed air and maybe place a fan so that it blows air into your computer. When cleaning your computer with the compressed air, make sure you get around your CPU and heatsink fairly well.

Let me know if that makes a difference or not.

Cyos

Cyos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Well, I didn't have any compressed air handy, but I did use a minivac to suck most of the dust off the heatsink and fan. I haven't crashed since, but I'llkeep you up to date should things get worse.