Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

halp using a ghost?

• Please log in to reply

wsarepair.exe? what? ahh!

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Does anyone have any clue how to actually use it once its been made my friend made one for me and i would like to know how to use it?

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about. Are you talking about Ghost the program or just a cloned hard drive in general?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I am talking about a cloned hard drive!

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
You could either replace your current hard drive with the clone or you can set it as a slave drive and get data off of it. It is an exact clone of the hard drive that it was taken from.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Now im confused LOL! sorry i meant that it is a DVD burned disk that i was told was a ghost. I just dont know how to use it!

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
It may be that the files are backed up on the disk? I'm not sure of all the options in ghost as I haven't used it in a long time. Have you tried just sticking in your cd rom and seeing what happens?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I guess that your friend created an image file into a cd. You can save this disk and use it to restore your system, applications and everything else, to the last bit, back to the point of time when the image was made. Everything which was added latter will be lost.

If I am correct and you have an image file, you need the cloning program to decompress the file and write it to a hard disk.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ya problem is i cant login on windows xp and the computer i am using as my back up does not have a dvd drive but my computer at work does so i will put here later what is on the disk!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If the DVD was created by Symantec Ghost, then you will need Symantec Ghost to restore it. I don't believe the DVD itself will be bootable, at least I don't remember that as an option of Ghost. Sure would be nice though ...

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sorry about the long wait but the files that are on the ghost DVD disk are:
.GHS; http://filext.com/file-extension/GHS
.GHO; http://fileat.com/file-extension/GHO

P.S. I am assuming from my reading that I need DOS to be able to use it so how can i get DOS or where or does it have to be the admin that has the DOS diskette?

Edited by wsarepair.exe? what? ahh!, 11 December 2007 - 08:02 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Looks like the cloning was made with Norton Ghost. Why don't you just ask your friend to be sure? To convert the image from the CD back to a hard disk you will need the program that created it. I assume your friend could help you with that too.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
What you have is an image file from ghost. Altho you already knew that. I do not have the specifics, but I know that your friend can create a bootable floppy or CD that can be used by you to put the "image" back on your comp. This is a specific floppy or CD created by the ghost program. It is not a standard bootable floppy/CD.

When you boot from the CD/floppy and follow the instructions, the program will ask for the ghost files.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Best place to look for problems with ghost is here.

http://ghost.radified.com/

SRX660