Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista login leads to blacked out desktop

• Please log in to reply

ga_moose

ga_moose

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Dell E1505 laptop with Vista Business installedI. Using "EasyBCD" to dual boot with XP. I have had absolutely no problems with my setup for six months until just the other day. While trying to repair another computer in the house that runs on XP, I was looking around in the settings on this laptop. Somehow I managed to screw up this one so that when I start Vista, the logon screen starts up and I do the usual login. Everything looks normal with the "loading preferences message"and the spinning "wait " orb going---normal. Then the screen goes black with no tasbar or anything. I naturally freak out! But then after trying a repair install and rereinstalling the drivers with the Dell disks, I have the same problem. Just by chance I tried the "cntrl-alt-del" combo and sure enough the task manager loads (still on a completely black screen). I poked around for hours trying to do restore from the "new task-run"box.
It seemed to me that everything will load from the task manager just fine, so I decided to look at some files to see if they had been recently altered by getting the Windows Explorer to load. When I typed in "Explorer.exe" in the "Run" text box and started it----WHAMMO --- the desktop loaded!!!!!!!!! I checked everything I have on this box and found that evertything works perfectly. I tried the xp boot and no problems there. I logged on to Vista in both standard and admin logins with both normal and safe-mode start-- same problem--- a blank desktop. But once you run taskmanager and start Explorer there is no problem. I can run but it is a headache.
Question----- where in the registry or start setup do I insert the command for starting Explorer.exe (or just Explorer because both seem to work fine)? I am not top notch savvy to fooling with the registry but i am creating a complete backup so if I screw this up I can just reinstall everything---dont want to go that way---I would rather learn about this problem in depth because several people out on the internet have this problem and have not found an answer that I know of.After reading through some more posts here I see others have similar problems. The posts I read seem to have slightly different simptoms and problems associated with this. Can someone post a list of entries I should check to see if a simple edit will fix this?

Edited by ga_moose, 09 December 2007 - 08:03 PM.

Advertisements

Nekul

Nekul

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
This issue could happen if there is a issue wtih the registry. The entry for Shell under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

should be explorer.exe. Check this and then back up Registry and if it is not Explorer.exe change it there.

ga_moose

ga_moose

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
just fixed four laptops with same windoze vista blackscreen--- simple----go to microsoft and download vista service pack 1 .....you gotta have 7 gigs memory free and 2hours ----fixed all right up
:) :)

Edited by ga_moose, 20 December 2007 - 10:11 PM.