Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Boot problem, MBR and partition table corrupted?

• Please log in to reply

Black_Phantom

Black_Phantom

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, here's the story (sorry for my unperfect english, I'm french^^) :

A few days ago I switched my computer off, then the next day, it wouldn't boot.
All I get is this message : "disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter".

It already happened that the system partition had problems, in this case I formated and it was ok. But now I think this problem is to big for me^^.

The HDD is detected in the BIOS, so I think it's not physically dead, but it won't boot into windows. I put it as a slave disk on another computer, it was again detected in BIOS, but the partitions were not visible in windows. In the disk gestionnary, all I get is something like "76Gb not allocated", as if the disk was blank.

When I boot with the windows 2000 CD in it, as if I was gonna reinstall it, I had a message like "the MBR (boot sector) may be corrupted", or something like that, then "press k to continue", I pressed the k key, aborted the reinstall, but nothing changed.

So this may be a boot virus, or could it be the aftermath of some RAM problems I had recently ? (both Hard drives were shutting down for a few seconds from time to time, about a week or two after I added 512Mo DDR, then I updated my BIOS and everything was fine again).

So as I can't see the other partitions in windows, this would mean that the boot sector, but also the partition table are corrupted.

So my first question, is there still anything I can do to try to fix the problem ?
I read somewhere that a boot virus copies itself in the boot sector and so the boot sector datas are offset, hence the boot problem. So if it is a virus, could there be a way to get everything back in place ?

Any other idea of what it could be ?
Is there a way to fix it with an fdisk /mbr without losing everything on the disk ?

Also I found this messageboard thanks to this page :
http://www.geekstogo...p?showtopic=386
where Mr Admin makes an impressive post with lots of data recovery software.

If this is my last chance, does anyone has more informations or experience about that ?
Is there a software better than the others ?
Is it a safe processus ? Or may I lose datas by trying to recover it ?
Is it somehting I, an "average computer user", can do ? (cuz' my informatic store charges this at 100€... And I'm not really in a budget... :tazz: )

My most important files are backed-up, but what I may lose are all those "not so important files" that you never erase anyway, sort of computer history ;) and I'd rather save this anyway^^.

Tell me if you need more infos and precision about my problem.
I hope my post isn't too long and that you'll be able to help me,
Bye^^

Advertisements

Black_Phantom

Black_Phantom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there^^

No one can help ? T_T
I'd like to try one of those recovery software, but the advice of someone who eventually knows a bit how to do would be great...

No one ?
Though I understand this may be a rare problem you don't often have to deal with...

Edited by Black_Phantom, 26 April 2005 - 07:40 AM.