Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

LANParty

• Please log in to reply

gordey0

gordey0

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi there,

My friends and I want to have a LANParty at one of my mates houses or mine. I have a few questions regarding LANParties.

1. Can a Notebook computer be used as a computer in a LANParty?

2. What sort of networking hubs, routers, etc do we need for approx. 5 people plus maybe a dedicated server?

3. Will I need to have different circuit breakers used, the LANParty will only be in one room with 2 double-outlets, should I be running an extension cord etc. from another room with a different circuit breaker keeping in mind there will be 5 people at the most.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Matt Clarke.

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,813 posts
1) it depends on if the laptop can run the game your playing.
2) any type of switch should work as long as you have enough ports.
3) I wouldn't think you would have to use more than one circuit break for five computers, six at most. Although, it wouldn't hurt.

gordey0

gordey0

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, thanks a lot for that.

One last question, do you have any recommendations on what brand of Switch I should have and whether it should be 10/100 or 10/100/1000.

Thanks.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,813 posts
10/100/1000 will only be useful if you all have network cards that will support gig speeds.

Something like THIS should be good enough.

gordey0

gordey0

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, thanks for your help!