Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First Time PC Builder -- MoBo and Chipset Question

• Please log in to reply

muzikizxtacy

muzikizxtacy

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I'm getting ready to begin building my first PC, a sortof Gaming PC if you will, able to play games like CoD4. I'm currently hung up on the decision of a MoBo to fit with the chip I have picked (which could change if someones opinion decides it wouldn't fit to play newer games like CoD4.) The chipset I'm looking into purchasing is an "Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Processor BX80557E6750 - 2.66GHz, 4MB Cache, 1333MHz FSB, Conroe, Dual-Core, Retail, Socket 775" and when I go to look at MoBo types I see 915P, 945G, 945P, P35, X38, etc. etc. I believe with the research I did that the chip I have chosen is a P35 but I'm not certain. Can someone lead me into the right direction of (A) this a good chipset for the newer games and (B) if it is which MoBo I should be looking at. Also © if this is not the proper chipset where should I go from there. Many thanks to anyone that can help.

***EDIT***

Found this MoBo, hoping its compatible. Sound like a good deal? "EVGA nForce 680i SE SLI (TR Version) Motherboard - NVIDIA, Socket 775, ATX, Audio, SLI Ready, PCI Express, Dual Gigabit LAN, S/PDIF, USB 2.0 & Firewire, Serial ATA, RAID". If this is way over the top for what I really need I wouldn't mind something that brings the price down :)

***EDIT***

Thought I would just throw in everything I've been looking up for the past hour and see what everyone thinks. This is an absolute extreme and I hope theres some definite places where people can help me price cut.

Case –

Thermaltake Black Kandalf LCS Full-Tower ATX Case with Clear Side, Front USB, FireWire, Audio Ports and Built-In Liquid Cooling System 259.99 (helps eliminate the liquid cooling down below)

OR

Xoxide X-Purity Case - LCD Edition – 59.99

Power Supply –

OCZ / GameXStream / 700-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan / SATA Ready / SLI Ready / EPS / Active PFC / Power Supply 129.99

Motherboard –

EVGA nForce 680i SE SLI (TR Version) Motherboard - NVIDIA, Socket 775, ATX, Audio, SLI Ready, PCI Express, Dual Gigabit LAN, S/PDIF, USB 2.0 & Firewire, Serial ATA, RAID 149.99

CPU –

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Processor Bundle - FREE Sword of the New World PC Game, Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Processor 2.66GHz Retail 199.99

Cooling System –

ThermalTake Big Water 760i Liquid Cooling System Kit 154.99

Sound Card –

Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Audio 64.99

HDD –

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB Hard Drive - 7200, 8MB, Serial ATA-300, OEM 109.99

Graphic Card –

XFX GeForce 8800 GTS XXX Video Card - FREE Lost Planet: Extreme Condition PC, 320MB GDDR3, SLI Ready, PCI Express, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, Video Card 269.99x2 (not necessary yet -- only 1)

Memory (RAM) –

Corsair DHX XMS2 Dominator Dual Channel 2048MB PC8500 DDR2 1066Mhz Memory (2 x 1024MB) 137.99x2
Operating System –

Microsoft Windows XP Home Upgrade Serv. Pack 2 $99.99

Grand TOTAL: ~ $1400.00

--
NewB-uilder

Patrick

Edited by muzikizxtacy, 10 December 2007 - 12:46 AM.

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
HI and welcome to G2G!!

If you don't plan on SLI, which is the concept of running two nVidia cards for only 20% maximum performance gain, then I would go with a P35 mobo like THIS one for example which also supports DDR3 which is faster memory. For the video card I would suggest an EVGA 8800G .

I don't think the sound card is necessary since the onboard sound is pretty high quality.

If you want watercooling please don't get it from Thermaltake wince they are the lower quality, you wanna get something good by maybe buying seperate parts, however I don't recommend Watecooling unless you are overclocking.

The power supply, CPU, and Memory are fine.

Soorena

muzikizxtacy

muzikizxtacy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well the memory could potentially change being that the Mobo would be ddr3 correct? and if i dont go with liquid cooling what fans are practically silent because thats part of what im avoiding.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Actullay the mobo I suggested supports both DDR3 and DDR2 so you will be fine with the memory. Also quiet fans are those with low rpm which spin slower and produce less sound. Or you can just look at some reviews and see if people say that they are quiet. Preferably any thermaltake fan I had was silent.

Soorena

muzikizxtacy

muzikizxtacy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
So thermaltake fans are good but not so much their water cooling? What would you recommend as far as a full cooling system for all the components of the computer im building?

***EDIT***

also, there is no sli ready, ddr3 memory Mobos out yet? Or you really dont recommend sli all together?

***EDIT***

one more thing, which evga 8800 do you recommend?

Edited by muzikizxtacy, 10 December 2007 - 05:42 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Thermaltake is a ok brand in general, nothing really great.
If you really want watercooling your looking at spending 200-300$ on something decent, a really steep price for cooling.
You can go completely fanless, but again, you'll need a very expensive radiator to dissipate the heat, look at Swiftec or the absolute best, Thermochill.
I suggest getting vista.
Right now I'd suggest either the 8800GT or HD3870. Though keep your eye's open as there will be a new GPU being released tomorrow.

Just a heads up, the 650i/680i motehrboards will not be supporting Intels upcoming quad core processors. If you want a better upgradabilty route I strongly suggest the P35 chipset.

Currently there are no motehrboards that support SLI and DDR3, tomorrow something might be released, but at this time, no one really knows.

James

Edited by james_8970, 10 December 2007 - 06:37 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I agree with james get the EVGA 8800GT or the HD3870 make sure if you go ATI you don't buy Sapphire.

Soorena

muzikizxtacy

muzikizxtacy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
yeah i see a bunch of evga 8800 though for different prices, can i go as low as the 320mb ddr3? and whats this about a new release tomorrow? any articles i can read :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
There is a NDA in effect, so no reliable, firm information.
There are sites, but I don't think they are worth mentioning as they are rumors, sometimes they are right, someone not.
James

Edited by james_8970, 10 December 2007 - 07:16 PM.

muzikizxtacy

muzikizxtacy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
ok, is sli really necessary? or would one 8800 (probly 320 mb unless i can stretch for a 512mb) on a p35 board be better for me?

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
The 8800GT is better and even the same price as the 8800GTS so why not go with the 8800GT? It even has more memory 512mb compare to 320mb.

Soorena

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
A p35 board is not SLI compliant. Depending on the resolution you game at, 320mb should be sufficient.
Though, the 8800GT is a better card for less then the 8800GTS and it comes with 512mb of RAM.
No SLI is not needed, I advice against it.
James

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

ok, is sli really necessary? or would one 8800 (probly 320 mb unless i can stretch for a 512mb) on a p35 board be better for me?

We replied at the same time, lol.

Ok SLI is marketing gimmicks it only gives 20% maximum increase in performance while you are paying for a 100%. Even hacked drivers can't make them work together at 100%. SLI is only necessary if there is no better card at the moment like the 8800 Ultra for example, SLIing that would be great since no other card can reach that performance on its own.

Soorena

EDIT: LOL, we should have turns for who goes first.

Edited by SOORENA, 10 December 2007 - 07:31 PM.

muzikizxtacy

muzikizxtacy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
it looks like the 512 gpu you suggested says something about pci-e 2.0 but i dont see that on the mobo you suggested earlier soorena. is that a conflict?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
PCI-e 2.0 is backwards compliant with PCIe 1.0/PCIe 1.1 and vice versa.
James

Edited by james_8970, 10 December 2007 - 07:48 PM.