Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP sound problem

• Please log in to reply

xp_even

xp_even

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
I am having a strange problem in XP.The sound coming from the speakers get scratchy at certain parts of the song(like at particular frequencies).This also occurs when I open a new window when I am playing a song.

I thought that the sound drivers had gone corrupt but rolling back and installing the drivers did not work.
As a last resort I tried to repair XP using the installation CD.(Not using recovery console).After the repair was over, the problem was solved and I got clear sound from my speakers.But after I accessed some DVDs ,I again had the same problem.Then I turned to System Restore and restored the system to the time after the repair.Again the problem was solved.

I thought that there was some software conflict but I couldnt find it out.Then suddenly the problem again resurfaced.Again I tried System Restore but it didn't work this time.So I opted for a clean XP re-install.Agian this solved the problem for awhile but again the problem appeared.System Restore is also not working and I don't want to install XP again.

I want to know if there is a method to repair only the sound files in my computer form the CD without going for a full repair or re-install.This problem is really getting out of hand....

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Sometimes it isn't the software problem. It might be caused by three factors:

1.) Bad player.
2.) Bad song/video quality.
3.) Bad speakers.

Try using VLC Media Player to play the files mentioned and tell me how's the quality.

If it is still scratchy, that means there's something wrong with the speakers. If so, you'll have to send it to a shop for a check.

~Kelvin