Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need help with a slow printer and Vista.

• Please log in to reply

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Hello all,

I have this printer The lemark P6250 All in one. And I have Vista Home Premium. Ok here is my woe: I used this printer on a Pentium 3 400mhz windows 98SE computer and it worked fine. But when I installed the cd that came with the printer on my Vista computer it wouldn't work. The cd said it was compatible with XP so i figured it would work on Vista. So I uninstalled it and downloaded the Vista driver off here:driver. After I installed the Vista driver i tried to print something but it took about 10-15 min. for the printing status bar on the computer to even show up. And when it did finally start printing it printed extremly slow. The printer uses a USB connection (i think 1.0) but my computer has USB 2.0. And my keyboard uses a PS/2 connection but my mouse is USB but I have a PS/2 converter on it. I have unistalled the driver several times and tried again, same result. The original cd has a photoshop program on it with the driver. The Vista driver online is the barebone driver. I didn't have any other USB devices plugged into my computer when i tried.

I really don't want to buy a new printer as this one isn't that old.

Help me OBI geek your my only hope! :)

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
You said the printer's USB is 1.0?! No wonder. USB 1.0 and 2.0 are not fully compatible with each other..

I think you should use a PS/2 cable, since you're using a desktop.

If the problem persists, you've gotta ask Lexmark why they ship new printers with old hardware...

~Kelvin

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
:) I dont have another PS/2 port on my computer. The mouse and keyboard take both up. hmmmmm......... maybe I could get a new USB 2.0 mouse and plug it into the USB port. And then use the USB to PS/2 converter to run the printer through the PS/2 mouse port? Can you run a printer through the PS/2 port? :)

Thanks for your answer by the way:)

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
I forgot what port a printer usually uses.. It's not the PS/2 port... Argh.. wait.. OH!

I'm sorry for mentioning the wrong thing. I meant to use the parrellel port. Not the PS/2. Got confused for a bit. Sorry..

~Kelvin

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
I wondered about that. Something sounded kinda fishy. I dont have parrellel port...........

So I guess I should start shopping for a new printer...........

(mumble mutter mutter :) )

Oh well..........

Thanks for your help anyway! :)

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Shouldn't your motherboard have a parallel port? Also, I use a black and white laser printer (Brother HL-2040) which supports USB 2.0.. and it's quite old already... (think 1-2 years) Why doesn't yours have it?

~Kelvin

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
All i know is my computer doesn't have a parallel port. And Im not 100% sure if my printer is 1.0 or 2.0. I remembered someone saying something about it.............

For all I know it might be 2.0. I tried to redownload the driver to a folder on my desktop and got this message:

An unexpected error is preventing the operation. Make a note of this error code, Which might be useful if you get additional help to resolve this problem.

Error 0x8oo7o4C8: The requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open.

After that I clicked retry and no problem. And then I shredded the folder and the driver and am redownloading now.

Will post again and tell what happened.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Ok so I redownloaded the driver and it still does the same thing. It will print but it takes around 15-20 min. So I guess I'll just delete the driver and look for a new printer. Does anyone think it might be a setting somewhere?

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
It's the driver problem. Lemme see.

Ok. I just found this out - try putting the driver in a folder, and pull the folder to the drivers section in your Windows (don't use Vista so I don't know)

~Kelvin

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Where exactly is this driver folder? And I can't seem to get rid of the previous driver install. Could you give me a link to a good free driver begone app?

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
It should be in %WINDIR%, which is C:\WINDOWS\Drivers for XP, but I don't know about Vista. I thought of changing to Vista but if it's just for enhanced graphics, I won't spend so much for a graphics upgrade... I could do a Vista theme for XP on my own..

~Kelvin

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts

I thought of changing to Vista but if it's just for enhanced graphics, I won't spend so much for a graphics upgrade...

I have never owned xp. Upgraded from windows 98SE to Vista. So I have no idea how well XP run against Vista. And also when I download the Printer driver it is a install launcher.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Oh yes and when I try to unistall the old printer driver I get this message: GUI Installer Error Error building item templates. Some GUI data missing on the XML file.

Do you think that could be an incomplete download?

Edited by Krusha, 14 December 2007 - 08:20 AM.

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Could be. Also, I researched it 'a bit', found that it may be caused also by running two instances of an installer.

~Kelvin

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts

may be caused also by running two instances of an installer.

errrrrr. well how would I fix that?