Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Windows Networking Problem!

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I recently bought a router (to replace my switch), now my HP Pavillion cannot see my Toshiba laptop. They're both running Windows XP, would the firewall and anti-virus be keeping the Pavillion from accessing the Toshiba? What could be the problem here? Could it be something in the router settings?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The router itself won't do any transferring, its just a dumb terminal. But your firewall is more likely to be blocking local traffic.

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
If you make a change (switch to router) and things don't work as they did before the change. Check the thing you changed. :)