Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista,,,reformatting and problematic drives ? ?

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all,,,
Feel a bit (a lot), embarressed posting about this problem with my hard drives but its driving me to despair at the moment :) .

I have changed many drives in the past,, reformatted, installed,,upgraded,,, i know the jumper settings etc and feel that i am well versed enough in this simple hardware procedure,,, but am banging my head against the wall over this one.

Recently installed vista home premium and all has been well,,, delighted with the OS and had no problems really.
I have 2 drives,,, an 80gb for the OS and various bits of software,,, and a 250gb for all my music and videos etc.

After a virus i decided that it was probably best to reformat and start from scratch,,, so i did ! !

Vista has installed without a hitch on the 80gb drive but i cant get the 250gb dive to behave at the moment.
With just the 80gb installed its all fine and up and running,,, and "active smart" says 100% working fine.
Whenever i connect the 250gb as the slave (just like it always was) the pc takes an age to boot up (if at all),,, and active smart then tells me that the 80gb drive is on the point of self destruction and is about to immenently fail,,,,it says the same for the other 250gb drive as well.,,,the 80gb is fine again once the 250 is taken out of the equation.
Obviously i cant try the 250 on its own cos there aint anything on it to see....
Then on the next reboot,, both drives are reported as working at 100%,,, but vista only recognises the OS one and tells me that the 250gb one needs to be formatted !

Prior to doing this reinstallation,, i formatted the 250gb drive after transferring all the music and video off onto my external,,, but at 99% it said windows couldnt format the drive.
Once i have had all up and running again,,i have finally got vista to recognise the 2nd drive,,but again,,i have tried to use windows to reformat it properly,,, and again,, it wont format it :) :) :)

So,,, have downloaded "activekill" to format the 250gb drive,,,its up and running and has been for the last 4 hrs,,, only another 6 to go ! ! ? ? ? surely this cant be right.

Has anyone got any ideas whats going on ? ? this set up was working like a dream until i reformatted and reinstalled,,, but now,,, its being a [bleep].

I know this all sounds a bit complicated,, but its probably a simple answer that i just cant see,,,, please help me,, i am going nuts,,,

Advertisements

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Now,, active smart tells me that both drives are nearing the point of imminent failure.

Device manager recognises both drives and says they are working properly,,,

Control panel > computer >drives,,,,, only sees the 80gb drive with the os on it,,, cant see the 250 at all ? ? (did earlier but couldnt format it after teling me it needed to be formatted).
Even when activesmart is telling me that both drives are about to fail,,,in the SMART info tag,,, all the values for both drives are perfectly normal ? ?

Whether i have both drives connected or just the 80gb with the os,,,, the pc runs fast and true without any of the usual problems you get with drive failure. Its only active smart that is worrying me,,, albeit that when i just have the 80 running,, it appears in activesmart as 100% fine ? ?

This is really doing me in,,,,, please help !

Edited by rxkevco, 11 December 2007 - 03:11 AM.