Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Double Clicking Problem

• Please log in to reply

Deviatorz

Deviatorz

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hey everyone, my tablet laptop (windows XP Tablet) starting having this problem where when I put in a USB Flash drive and I go to double click the F:\ drive for my USB under my computer, it opens my documents directory (or explorer) instead of the flash directory. I've done the Properties>Customize>Restore Default and the Control Panel>Folder Options>Restore Default + View>Restore Default & Reset All Folders. I think this problem has to do with installing driver software for my printer, but can't be too sure. Pretty sure I have to edit the registry somewhere, but don't know which key.
This is definitely not caused by my mouse, so please don't tell me to get a new mouse.

I've had a similar problem like this before such as when I open any folder, it opens search instead, but I was able to fix that. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Edited by Deviatorz, 10 December 2007 - 09:32 PM.

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello Deviatorz,

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Regards,

Ax

Deviatorz

Deviatorz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I'm pretty sure it's not malware as I keep my computer well protected. Also to confirm it's not malware, I just formatted this computer about 2 weeks ago. I think installing software drivers caused this problem. Just don't know what registry keys it modified, but I'm positive it's not malware/spyware/adware/trojans.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
OK, that sounds good. It's good to know you keep your computer running well. It was my first suggestion because it sounded similar to what a flash infection would do. If you are sure it's not, then we can move on to other things. Just to be sure you don't have something like the Ravmon virus, which options appear in the context menu when you right-click the drive? If there is an option that looks like random characters, I'd suggest you make haste to the malware removal forum.

On we go then, go to Start | Run, copy-paste the following command, and press Enter:
cmd /k reg query HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} /s > %temp%\reg.txt && notepad %temp%\reg.txt && del %temp%\reg.txt && exit
Select the text that appears in notepad (Ctrl-A), copy it (Ctrl-C), and paste it (Ctrl-V) in your next response. You can close notepad and the file will be deleted from the temp directory.

Please put the text in code (Posted Image) tags ([code] and [/code]) for better readability.

Regards,

Ax

Deviatorz

Deviatorz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Sorry for the long reply; still have some exams I have to study.

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
	UpperFilters	REG_MULTI_SZ	PartMgr\0\0
	Class	REG_SZ	DiskDrive
	<NO NAME>	REG_SZ	Disk drives
	Installer32	REG_SZ	StorProp.Dll,DiskClassInstaller
	SilentInstall	REG_SZ	1
	NoInstallClass	REG_SZ	1
	TroubleShooter-0	REG_SZ	hcp://help/tshoot/tsdrive.htm
	Icon	REG_SZ	-53

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000
	InfPath	REG_SZ	disk.inf
	InfSection	REG_SZ	disk_install
	InfSectionExt	REG_SZ	.NT
	ProviderName	REG_SZ	Microsoft
	DriverDateData	REG_BINARY	008062C5C001C101
	DriverDate	REG_SZ	7-1-2001
	DriverVersion	REG_SZ	5.1.2535.0
	MatchingDeviceId	REG_SZ	gendisk
	DriverDesc	REG_SZ	Disk drive

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001
	InfPath	REG_SZ	disk.inf
	InfSectionExt	REG_SZ	.NT

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0002
	InfPath	REG_SZ	disk.inf
	InfSectionExt	REG_SZ	.NT

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0003
	InfPath	REG_SZ	disk.inf
	InfSectionExt	REG_SZ	.NT

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0004
	InfPath	REG_SZ	disk.inf
	InfSectionExt	REG_SZ	.NT

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\Properties

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
There doesn't appear to be anything off here. What about when you right-click the drive, what options appear in the contect menu?

Deviatorz

Deviatorz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Actually, it displays the symptoms of what you say is and could be the Ravmon virus infection; or one that's similar to it. I see some random characters displayed instead of Open. I just went into safe mode and my flash seems to be working fine that way as well. Like I said before, I keep my computer well protected, but it seems that is still not enough; which makes this look very embarrassing. However, it doesn't display random characters with my other drives.
I've done online scans using trendmicro, panadasoft and including using Kaspersky and AVG free. It would seem that this may be a virus that is undetected. I'm going to look and check out each of my running processes, but also, should I post my Hijackthis log to malware forums or do you have a probable fix? I Googled about the ravmon virus as well, doesn't seem like I am infected with that; else the scans would of detected it anyways.
Thanks for your help.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Now this is making more sense to me. Ravmon is just one of the viruses that can affect flash drives. Yes please do post a HijackThis log at the malware forum. I believe you have a flash infection. These infections are a little more complex and require expert analysis to resolved. Please be patient and do not try to fix anything on your own, but wait for a trained professional to assist you.

Regards,

Ax

Deviatorz

Deviatorz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Thanks for your help :) .

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
:) No problem, come back to this thread if you need to once you are all cleaned up.

Deviatorz

Deviatorz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I just backed everything up on my flash drive and formatted it. It fixed the problem afterwards. I'm assuming it wasn't a virus after all; something must of been corrupted in the flash drive that caused the problem I had.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Formatting the drive would have gotten rid of the infection, if it existed. Thanks for posting back.

Deviatorz

Deviatorz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
So what your saying is that the infection was in the flash drive itself and not my hard drive?

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
You may want to ask that question to someone who is more knowledgeable with those types of things, such as a helper in the malware removal forum. It wouldn't be a bad idea to post your HJT log just in case there is something on your hard drive.

Ax