Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

350 Watt PSU

• Please log in to reply

georgewashington16

georgewashington16

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
I now have an old 350 watt psu. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to purchase an xfx 8600gt xxx, which has a Minimum Requirement of 350 watts. I was wondering if the power may have decreased in my psu since it is so old and if it is okay to run a card barely meeting the minimum. Thank you.

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
I would recommend against running that card with that PSU. If I were you, I'd get a new PSU around 500watts. That will give you some expansion room.

georgewashington16

georgewashington16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Okay thanks.

georgewashington16

georgewashington16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I was wondering though, If I had to run the card on this 350 watt psu, would it work, and also could I give more wattage to my system by taking out cards like TV tuners and CD trays which I don't use.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
I suppose that it would work but you will be pushing the limits of the power supply and that could be a fire hazard.

matthew staton

matthew staton

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Save your board and video card get a 500 watt psu at least IMO . There cheap find a name brand one on sale . I had a freind that just tryed to run a sli rig with a 480 watt psu and he fryed his board and killed one of the cards.