Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't find MINIDUMP folder

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi everyone.

Why can't I find in my computer the minidump folder? I searched in windows folder. I used all advanced search options. I searched for *.dmp files. Viewing system files is enabled .Nothing.

While googling for a solution I noticed that other people have the same problem. I run fully updated XP professional sp2.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by The Skeptic, 11 December 2007 - 01:02 AM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
This may have the answer:

How to read the small memory dump files that Windows creates for debugging

Ron

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Hi, Ron.

I did, before, everything that is written in "Configure the dump type" in the Microsoft article (control panel > system > advanced etc.). Still there is no trace of "minidump" folder or "memory.dmp".

Thanks

EDIT: I searched in my installation CDs and found nothing. Question: Is it possible that the folder is only created when the computer performs first dumping? I mean, since my computer is not having problems is it possible that the folder has never been created?

Edited by The Skeptic, 11 December 2007 - 05:19 AM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I would suspect that is the case if you did not find the folder in the Windows section, the Dump Check Utility (Dumpchk.exe) didn't show anything, and you have show hidden folder/files turned on.

I did a search for *.dmp files and found several for when Trillian crashed, some for Dr. Watson under a folder in Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/Microson/Dr Watson, and a few under Windows/Internet Logs. I have a tendency to push my PC sometimes where it does not want to go. :)

Ron

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for response, Ron. Even having the computer running perfrectly has negative side effects, isn't it?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're welcome. It is a snag if you're looking for something that's not there because all is well. LOL

Ron