Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking to go into network security

• Please log in to reply

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hi all I am looking to go into the Network and internet security field in the future. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on some training that I should do. Where I live there is not really a Network Information Security Degree so I can not just go out and get a BA in it. I am currently going to a community college for a AA in CS. Also I am looking to go into System administration while I finish all my security education any advice on how to get a good job as a system admin what training I absolutely must have beforehand.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have an ITT campus anywhere near you? they've got a good Bachelors program in network security (at least my campus did)...it involved doing a 2 year associates degree in "computer networking systems" (which i have) and then another 2 years for the Bachelors degree...that second half (which i wish i could have done) was all about network intrusion and all kinds of other fun stuff (as in they teach you how to do it so that you can block it from the inside)

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Ya I was thinking about going to ITT. However after thinking about it was just a bit too expensive for me. That was one of the reasons why I decided not too. What I was thinking of doing is taking more of the BA in CS. Then heading the cert route while going though school.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah ITT is not cheap....but...at least at my campus....i got what i felt was a superior education....i went to regular college for a while....and it would have taken me at least a year and a half before i ever got to a computer class...the rest of it would have been "pre-requisites" and remedial stuff....ITT didn't have all that jazz....alot of community colleges or vocational colleges will offer the same kind of "fast track" type programs...the degree isn't "worth" as much (as far as transfer credits) but the experience and the education are...

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Ya my problem is I am keeping a open mind for possibly a doctrine. Don't ask. So transfer credits are somewhat important. Also I think I could use the prerequisites. I have my lab to play in if I want to mess with windows server and that stuff. My Electric bill on the other hand EWWW.