Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

System Restart issues

• Please log in to reply

deathcry

deathcry

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
hello all, well my mother-in-laws computer keeps on restarting. i have tried updating the graphics driver but it still happens. i have ran virus/spyware scans but it did not come up with anything. i am suspecting maybe either a bad registry file or maye windows is just out of date with the updates. she gets a minidump message and a temporary file error message, she doesnt have it wrote down so i cant post it on here. she thinks its because she just got a new printer adn that software might have caused it when she tries to use the printer but my wife used the computer without using the printer and it restarted on her. does anybody have any suggestions i can try before attempting a non destructive restore on the computer? any help would be apprecaited.

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello deathcry,

When did this issue start occurring? Was it before or after the printer install? It very well could be the printer or its driver causing the problem, especially if there is an IRQ conflict with another device.

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART. Click APPLY and OK.

Now reboot. You should now get the BSOD the next time an error occurs...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

Also, go to Start | Run, type minidump, and press Enter. Zip and upload the most recent minidump files.

Regards,

Ax