Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Deleting multiple copies of msvcrt.dll

• Please log in to reply

Chicken mania

Chicken mania

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi, 'cos of Firefox crashing due to msvcrt.dll, I found out that the solution is to delete msvcrt.dll . However, there appear to be multiple copies in various system folders. And I've no idea which folders I should leave alone?

These are the locations the dll file is located at:

F:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.CPlusPlusRuntime_6595b64144ccf1df_7.0.0.0_x-ww_2726e76a (315kb)
F:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallKB932590$ (335kb)
F:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.CPlusPlusRuntime_6595b64144ccf1df_7.0.2600.2180_x-ww_b2505ed9 (335kb)
F:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.CPlusPlusRuntime_6595b64144ccf1df_7.0.2600.3085_x-ww_e059201c (335kb)
F:\WINDOWS\system32 (335kb)
F:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache (335kb)

Edit: Also, it seems that there're a few versions of the files.

7.0.2600.0, 7.0.2600.2180 , 7.0.2600.3085 are the versions available.

Thanks! :)

Edited by Chicken mania, 11 December 2007 - 06:59 PM.

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello Chicken mania,

This is the Microsoft Visual C RunTime Library. I'm pretty sure that if you delete the file it is going to come back. I would suggest you delete none of those files. If it is only occurring in Firefox, then I would imagine your solution would be better solved troubleshooting Firefox. If you create a new profile in Firefox do you have the same issue?

Firefox Help: How To Manage Profiles

Regards,

Ax

Chicken mania

Chicken mania

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Hello Chicken mania,

This is the Microsoft Visual C RunTime Library. I'm pretty sure that if you delete the file it is going to come back. I would suggest you delete none of those files. If it is only occurring in Firefox, then I would imagine your solution would be better solved troubleshooting Firefox. If you create a new profile in Firefox do you have the same issue?

Firefox Help: How To Manage Profiles

Regards,

Ax

Okay, I'll do just that and see what happens.

Thank you! :)

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Sounds good, no problem, let me know what happens.

Chicken mania

Chicken mania

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Thank you. The situation has been resolved. :)

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
:) Great! You're very welcome, glad I could assist.