Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Modem not there

• Please log in to reply

coolrider69

coolrider69

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
One that is literally killing me, is my internal modem / RS232 serial port is not there.
Yes, unfortunately i need to use a dial up modem sometimes in my travels, as internet is not always available.
I went to Toshiba's web site (I have a Satellite M35-S359) and downloaded the drivers.
Ran the install routine, but never finds the modem.

It does not show up in My Computer, Hardware....

I ck'd the bios, and there is no option there.

Any ideas?

I am on the road, trying to work.

Thanks in advance,

Coolrider69

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

It sounds like you may have already done this but if not, then check in device manager (devmgmt.msc) to see if the modem's listed there, but also check if there are any unknown devices listed or any devices that have either a yellow '!' or a red 'x' next to them.

If not, then the chances are the modem is faulty and hence not being detected by Windows. If thats the case, and assuming the warranty's expired, then your best bet would be to purchase a pcmcia modem instead (according to the specs, your laptop has one PC card slot which supports type II pc (pcmcia) cards. These are usually cheap and won't add an extra weight or bulk to your laptop.

coolrider69

coolrider69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
yup, tried that and more.
any recomendations for modem?

Thanks

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
All pcmcia modems are pretty much the same. Obviously you want a 56k v92 one, but all new ones will be anyway. I guess stick with a big brand one if possible, eg US Robotics, Dynamode, Zoom etc. There can be a quite a lot of variation in price but I'd be surprised if you'd actually notice much difference between the cheaper ones & the expensive ones.