Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setting RAM timing/overclocking

• Please log in to reply

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
So I went to set my timings to the "advertised" 2-3-2-6-1 timings but when I got into my BIOS I wasnt sure which things actually needed to be set to these timings. (I did read the pinned overclocking thing but the links for "this" or "that" site arent there).

At any rate in my BIOS here are the things I can change regarding RAM timing

CAS latency-
TRAS-
TRP-
TRCD-
TRRD-
TRC-
TRFC-
TRWT-

Which ones do I set to the advertised timings?
-P.
PS: I know that I have to up the voltage to run at the tighter timings.

Advertisements

p-zero

p-zero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
ok so I got the timings figured out but now where do I set teh command rate? Thats the 1 in the 2-3-2-6-1
-P.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Its basicly trial and error. You can try each emty slot thats left and see what CPU-z shows you as the timing then if its incorrect just set the next empty one till you get it right. Or if it doesn't boot then you know you set the wrong thing. Is your mobo the same as the one in your sig? In that case your mobo will shut off the computer or restart if anything is not right.

Soorena

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
...or better yet, try reading the Memory pinned topic.

p-zero

p-zero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

...or better yet, try reading the Memory pinned topic.

Maybe you should try reading my first post....where I said that the USEFUL links arent there.....so the general information is relatively useless.......
-P.

p-zero

p-zero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Its basicly trial and error. You can try each emty slot thats left and see what CPU-z shows you as the timing then if its incorrect just set the next empty one till you get it right. Or if it doesn't boot then you know you set the wrong thing. Is your mobo the same as the one in your sig? In that case your mobo will shut off the computer or restart if anything is not right.

Soorena

I found which ones are which so on my mobo it was
CAS latency - 2
TRAS - 6
TRP - 2
TRCD - 3

And I had to manually set the voltage to 2.6
-P.
PS: Yes Im still using everything thats in my sig..... Im going to upgrade my video cards to 8600GTS's, 700W power supply, and an FX60 cpu.

Edited by p-zero, 14 December 2007 - 12:50 AM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
One 8800gt will out perform two 8600gts's by a large margin.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Some motherboards are not capable of running 1T. If you don't see the option in BIOS, your motherboard is likely one of them.
James

Edited by james_8970, 16 December 2007 - 06:21 PM.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
The first 5 are usually the numbers you wanna be changing. Try looking at THIS which describes what should be changed mostly since changing others will be useless.

Soorena

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
They aren't usless if you are attempting to push your RAM to their max, infact that are quite important when you do so if you want to squeese every little bit of performance out of your computer.
I'd only worry about the first 4, like I have already mentioned, 1T is not possible on all motherboards.
James

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I don't think he should be going for 1T anyways since he doesn't have the proper cooling and etc.

Soorena

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
There are many RAM chips that are capable of running memory at 1T (there are a few that it comes like that stock, such as the one the OP bought), whether their motherboard can do it is another problem all together.
James

p-zero

p-zero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

One 8800gt will out perform two 8600gts's by a large margin.

I kinda doubt it......My board is 32x sli........not to mention I can get 2 8600gt's for under $200. The cheapest 8800 is $300. The 8800 will only have 320mb ram where as with 2 8600's Ill have 1024. Both are GDDR3.

Maybe if I got a $500+ card it might outperform the 2 8600's. [bleep], I have 2 6800's right now I can run MOST games at full settings. They ran crysis smoothly, everything on high except for shadows. Quake wars is totally smooth. The only game that was choppy was the Jericho demo off of Steam.
-P.

p-zero

p-zero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Some motherboards are not capable of running 1T. If you don't see the option in BIOS, your motherboard is likely one of them.
James

My board is probably the most tweakable board out for the 939 socket. Everything is changeable, literally.
-P.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Well, if you cannot see the setting, to me that a clear indication that your motherboard cannot run at a 1T command rate.
Get this card
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150254
if your resolution is small then get this one
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150263

Two 8600`s are not good performers. The cardsmentioned above will beat them.
James