Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Build Questions 2.0

• Please log in to reply

Subaru

Subaru

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi im trying to finish up my list for building my first computer with parts from my old with a lot of new.
I had a lot of questions and here is the list of items first.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811133154
Tower: Thermaltake armor series tower $109.00 after 3 day mail.

http://www.newegg.co.....onroe+2.66GHz
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz $190.00

Mobo: ASUS P5N-E nForce 650i SLI - $120.00 - wanting SLI but not sure about this one.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231098
Ram: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Memory - $49.99

already have

Raedeon x1950 pro
500 PSU
320GB Sata Hard drive

I had the following questions:

1. Will my cd drvies etc, install in general to a new tower. Im a noob at this and don't know much its a
rather new computer.

2. I read that the heatsink and the fan is bad on the Cpu listed above. Do i need to get a new fan for it?
If so what fan would you suggest and do i need a new heatsink for it.

3. I want to run the SLI setup down the road but not sure about which SLI board is a good one. I
read a lot of bad things about the one listed above.

4. And is the ram a good investment for the long haul. Read about it burning up etc. So any tips in that
field would also be appreciated.

Anything else you guys got to chip in on top of this will also be appreciated. Wanting to get this right
the first time.

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

1. Will my cd drvies etc, install in general to a new tower. Im a noob at this and don't know much its a
rather new computer.

Yes

2. I read that the heatsink and the fan is bad on the Cpu listed above. Do i need to get a new fan for it?

No it is fine if you are not overclocking.

3. I want to run the SLI setup down the road but not sure about which SLI board is a good one. I
read a lot of bad things about the one listed above.

You need to have an nVidia card to do that, and also I hate that mobo cause I had to walk two stations because of it today to get it replaced.

4. And is the ram a good investment for the long haul. Read about it burning up etc. So any tips in that
field would also be appreciated.

That is quality ram you should be fine. They probably had it overclocked to the max, or spilled water on it.

Also I don't recommend SLI unless you get a card that has no superior like the 8800 Ultra, or else it is useless since it gives 20% maximum performance increase while you are paying for 100%.

For a normal great cheap board, you can get the Gigabyte P35-DS3L or P35-DS3R, in which the P35-DS3R is better since it has more features like eSATA and RAID.

Soorena

Soorena

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

I have this processor, along with the stock fan. I would rate Intel's fan as very good. As SOORENA has pointed out, only if you intend on overclocking should you upgrade this.

Subaru

Subaru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
ok thanks for the advice... the only reason i ask is because it says the fan is also hard to install and puts a lot of stress on the part it installs to inside because its cheap and has plastic clips that stresses what ever its attached to.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
I agree with that though it is a bit hard to put in at first but after a while it gets easier since you learn the tricks and everything, I haven't used mine in a while since I have Watercooling but it was pretty easy as I remember it. My cousin uses the stock one that came with her HP computer and I take it out regularly to clean it, (don't tell her she'll kill me), and installing it back is not that hard, you just have to align the 4 plastic stands with the holes and push them down a little.

Soorena