Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Internet Problem

• Please log in to reply

Damien Kane

Damien Kane

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
I usually solve my own issues, but this one has me beat but first, thanks very much for the opportunity to post.

I have Windows XP on a desktop and sometimes when using the internet, it drops out. I can't repair. Only a reboot or shut down works. I run Linux Ubuntu as a dual install and have no problems, so I don't think it's a hardware issue in that respect. I also have XP on an old laptop (IBM 833Mhz - yes, old!) and have no issues. Sometimes, I have to use the desktop to work, copy files to the laptop, to e-mail!! Silly, isn't it!

Main desktop specs:
MSI motherboard PM8M-V Socket 478
Prescott 3.2GB CPU (dual)
2GB RAM
ADSL Router D-Link DSL-502T

All hardware drivers have latest firmware upgrades. All leads are fine as they work with both Ubuntu and laptop. I re-installed Windows but am having the same issue (and yes, I had to re-install Linux, too!) It just 'happened' one day. I can't define what it was. Even a re-install of Windows a month or so ago gives me the same problem, and yes, I had to reinstall Linux as well.

I've trawled around like a lost dog for a long time thinking that perhaps it could be a Windows update that I selected on my desktop but not my laptop. It's a weird problem.

Sometimes it will connect, but will drop out between 5 minutes - 24 hours. Other times it refuses to connect for hours. I've tried the obvious stuff like virus scans, spywares, greywares etc, put my firewall (Comodo Pro) to the test, even tried other firewalls (Outpost, Zonealarm, CA Internet Suite) and other configs, keep alive connections, hardware diagnostics, power management, etc. All have no issues. There's no device conflicts in the device manager.

I would honestly appreciate any ideas people may have. I don't know how much information I should put here. I have pages of things I've tried and perhaps it's best to start back at the beginning.

Any help will be appreciated. I spent hundreds of dollars on Windows softwares and can't even connect to the internet at times. The problem's been going on for around 6 months and I'm out of things to try.

Many thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Lemme see. Let's list out a few possibilities. Feel free to add in.

1.) ISP problems.
2.) Hacker utilizing your bandwidth (if wireless is enabled)
3.) Incorrect configuration

Solutions:
1.) Call them up.
2.) Encrypt your connection with a WPA-PSK/TKIP key and enforce your security.
3.) Check that every setting is correct in your modem and also your TCP/IP. Click once on the connection you are using, and select Properties. In the 'This connection uses the following items...', find Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Check and ensure that the settings are set to match the settings in your router.

I can't ensure that these are the causes, but it's just a guess.

Anyway, what error message do you recieve? The 'network has limited or no network connectivity' error or another one?

~Kelvin

Damien Kane

Damien Kane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Thanks very much for your reply, Kelvin. I appreciate it. Networking isn't my forte.

1. I don't believe it's an ISP issue. Presently, I have a laptop and desktop through the same router. The laptop goes through USB and Desktop through ethernet. I've switched but only the laptop connects to the net. Further, running Ubuntu Linux on the desktop has no issues. Only Windows.

2. I have a resident antivirus and have scanned using the laptop and online scanners including Kaspersky, Trend Micro and Norton. I have no viruses, trojans or otherwise. I've used different firewalls and network monitors and there's no hacker trace or other malignant activity.

3. The TCP/IP issue - maybe there's something manual I can do. I've never stuffed around with it, but it's currently set to:
-> Obtain IP address automatically
-> Obtain DNS server address automatically
-> Alternate Configuration: Automatic private IP address.

I don't have a static IP but as I say, the net works through the same router on a laptop and connects through Linux on the same desktop. I've mirrored the settings from the laptop to desktop to no avail.

The error is the usual 'Limited or no connectivity'. I've not even been able to connect through the Desktop today so am currently using the laptop. My router is 10.1.1.1

With thanks.

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Hmm. Now, let's see:

Do you have the drivers for your chipset and router installed onto your desktop?

~Kelvin

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
Maybe I over looked this, but are you connecting via wired or wireless?

If it wireless, it could be interference from a wireless telephone, microwave, etc.

If it's wired, it could be a driver issue. What chipset is your NIC?

Damien Kane

Damien Kane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
It's a wired connection to external router DSL-502T using onboard NIC Lan Realtek 8201CL. Both have the most up-to-date firmware and XP drivers. Remember: no issues when using Linux. Must be a Windows issue. The same problem occurs with LAN and USB internet.

Thanks again!

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
Hrm, strange issue.

You can try to reset the TCP/IP Stack. See this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

Make sure that you reboot after the command finishes.

Damien Kane

Damien Kane

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Thanks Gravity Gripp - had already tried it. Backed everything up to a spare HDD and re-installed everything. Things appear to be normal again. Windows, eh.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. If it happens again, do this:
1. Click Start, click Run, type "ncpa.cpl" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.

2. Right-click the connection with an overlaid yellow symbol and click Properties.

3. Click on the "General" tab, highlight "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)", and click Properties.

4. Click on the "Alternative Configuration" tab, select the "User configured" radio box.

5. Type 192.168.0.2 in the "IP Address" field.

6. Type 255.255.255.0 in the "Subnet mask" field.

7. Click OK twice.
Johanna