Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

after i upgrade, what should i do?

• Please log in to reply

shinakuma9

shinakuma9

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
if i decide on a new mobo,cpu and gfx card, and decide to recycle all my old parts, such has my hard drive and optical drive, etc.
do i need to do a full reinstall of windows xp?? or will everything run fine? what am i supposed to do after everything is installed? i know i need to install new drivers for the gpu and mobo, but is there anything else?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Since you are going to replace the motherboard i would do a complete new install of the OS. More than likely your new motherboard will have different chipsets and newer system memory, etc. There will be so many changes that its easier to reinstall than fight the computer trying to install drivers for the new hardware. I would make sure you have all the motherboard drivers on a CD, and any hardware you reuse make sure you have drivers for them. Sound drivers are usually in the MB utilities with MB's that have on-board sound. If everything seem to work after reinstalling XP, the first place to look is in device manager to see if there is any problems there( yellow marks say theres no drivers for some hardware).

The reinstall will tell you if you have any problems with any hardware in the computer. It will ask you what to do.If everything seems to be working, then you only have to change all the settings to where you like them. After that i personally use Acronis True Image to make me a backup CD image set so i do not have to spend weeks changing settings if i need to reinstall again.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16832200004

SRX660

shinakuma9

shinakuma9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
i see,
another question.
the new vid card only has hdmi slots, is there any way to get dvi on it?

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Most new cards come with a DVI to HDMI adapter. If it doesn't, they're easy to find and not too expensive. You can order them from Newegg or pick one up at your local radio shack.