Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox & IE Prompt You To Remember Passwords

• Please log in to reply

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Firefox & IE Prompt You To Remember Passwords - Do You Say Yes ? | Digital Inspiration Technology Guide

When you type a password into any web form, both Internet Explorer and Firefox prompt whether you would like them to remember your password.

If that’s a personal computer, chances are high that you will click Yes and the password is then saved in the web browser.

This “Remember Me” option in web browsers is useful but it actually puts your login credentials at serious risk especially in Firefox.

I should note that Opera should be included here as well, as it has the same option.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
But you can have the personal data removed when you close Firefox and other browsers if you have that option checked. It will even ask you first and you can clear the checked data or reselect. Best to use an application like RoboForm where you'll never have to use your keyboard but once to input sensitive info. Even set a Master password for each and every site if needed to log in. I love being able to input my credit card info without worrying about a keylogger.

Ron

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Great information Ron, thanks for posting!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
or you can get an IronKey....it's password manager tripple encrypts all the passwords that it saves and stores them on their proprietary hardware within the drive...plus it's water proof, pluss all the info on the drive is encrypted, plus it's got an encrypted browser built in, plus it'll self destruct if someone tries to break in....plus i've got one and it's really nifty

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
*cough* SPAM *cough*

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Geeze! I wish I had that sense of humor. :) Any sense at all would be nice, too!

Ron

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 1,323 posts
:)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well....at least i don't work for IronKey...that would make it even worse right? i do really love this thing though

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
As a rule, I don't have IE remember my passwords. However, in Mail, I have it remember my account passwords because I have multiple accounts - I learned a little trick for password security when I worked as a volunteer at a local ISP - Even with that trick, it is advisable to change passwords from time to time so that someone does not gain access to the systems you operate :)

:) :)

Brian

Ltangelic

Ltangelic

Angel Annihilator of Malware

• Retired Staff
  • 2,008 posts
Hmm, maybe I should let them remember my password(s) as well. It is kind of tiring an risky to type in each and every time.