Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recommendations Please!

• Please log in to reply

gwtwins

gwtwins

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
I'm new to the forums and GeekU! Before I get going with my malware removal training I would like to know from some of you what your thoughts are as to the best Free AV program that is out there. The list I saw was from a few years back and I'm just curious as to if the recommendation from GTG has changed? My version of McAfee (VirusScan 10) was kind enough to let me know yesterday that my subscription has expired and it is trying to "force" me into buying a "bigger and better" bundle to continue my coverage. While I like the bundled aspect, I really don't like being coerced into buying new stuff every year! I think I should be able to just renew my dat file subscription but it does not appear as if that is one of their options.

Anyway..I'd like to hear from you all. Once I get a consensus then I will probably go with that product. BTW...I am running a home network that has 4 machines currently on it!! Thanks in advance! :)

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
From independent tests run this year by a well known computer mag here in the UK, the best free one for highest detection rates is AVG Free Edition: http://free.grisoft.com/

Since you have four PCs to protect, AVG Free is a good choice since you can legally install it on all four. Most of the 'paid for' solutions only allow you to install on one machine, with some allowing two installs at most, unless you purchase a more expensive multi-user license.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Aside from Pip's suggestion of AVG, which is very good for a free app, you can also add ClamWin and Avast to your arsenal. All free. Even using Window's Defender wouldn't hurt. Periodic online scans of selected folders or complete HD scan from McAfee or TrendMicro wouldn't hurt.

Do not recommend running these at the same time, but they can be scheduled to run at different times and days so as not to conflict with each other. Recommend looking at all the options setups for each. No one program can catch all the malware that's out there. For regular adware, trojans, etc., use of Lavasoft's free AdAware 2007 and Spybot's Search & Destroy are good free utilities.

Sure there'll be more opinions coming. :)

Ron

Damien Kane

Damien Kane

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Here's something I found - I don't think it's pirated, but make up your own mind:

Free 6 months of Norton Antivirus 2006. Go to this link and download the software located under the table:
http://www.intel.com.../eng/284826.htm

For many, trying to install the package will error, however, use WinZip or WinRAR to extract and use Setup to install. The product is already activated and you can use it for 6 months.

I'm an Avast! fan but do regular checks on the Kaspersky and Trend Micro sites.

Hope it helps!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
My sister has Norton and the accompanying problems with it. Too many have posted on GTG with problems attributed to Norton. Nice to try if you want, but don't recommend its use.

Ron

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Agree with Major Payne. Norton AV is a 'major pain', at best it will slow down your PC and takes ages to load -- at worst it will cause you nothing but grief.

gwtwins

gwtwins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Agree with Major Payne. Norton AV is a 'major pain', at best it will slow down your PC and takes ages to load -- at worst it will cause you nothing but grief.

Thanks to those that replied! I have no intentions of using Norton! Never liked those products very much and I'm having an issue with McAfee hitting me up for new software every year!! I have used AVG before and will uninstall Mcafee on all of my machines and install AVG! :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Good choice. Might look in to also using ClamWin and set schedules for folders/files you would like to check. It finds stuff AVG doesn't and vice-versa.

Ron