Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Would someone explain to me what Hijackthis is?

• Please log in to reply

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Could someone give me a detailed explanation of what Hijackthis is? I read this article Here.

And now I'm wondering if I could even use this tool on my Vista computer. I have read around in your Anti-malware section and a lot of problems seem to have been resolved using Hijackthis. Can I use the newest version without clicking the AnalyzeThis button? Do I even need this tool?

Could someone enlighten me? :)

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
This Tool is used by our Malware Experts to analyze files on your PC if you need help in checking for possible viruses, trogans, keyloggers, etc.. It is a very safe and useful tool and is only needed to be installed when you need to use it. The Malware Experts will walk you through the steps to remove any suspect files in the safest manner possible.

Unless you know what to remove, I recommend you not try to do any analyzing yourself, but let the malware forum handle this for you.

More info: HiJackThis

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 12 December 2007 - 04:11 PM.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Ok thanks! But what about the AnalyzeThis button?

Edited by Krusha, 12 December 2007 - 04:06 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
This button takes you to this page.

Additionally: TrendMicro™ HijackThis™ Quick Start Guide

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 12 December 2007 - 04:31 PM.

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Yeah but what about the spyware issue? You know where Hijackthis is spyware

(thanks for hangin with me)

Edited by Krusha, 12 December 2007 - 04:33 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
There is no spyware in HiJackThis of any kind. That's why it is recommended by GTG for analyzing your PC for malware.

Ron

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
The article Krusha has the link for calls HJT "spyware" because the "analyze this" button sends the results to Trend Micro. The author calls the program deceptive because it seems "unclear" that results are being sent via the Internet. However the program does tell you what it is going to do, and I would assume Trend Micro could be considered "trusted" to receive the information gathered. They likely use the collected data to make HJT more accurate and relevant.
Johanna

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
If you click on the link in post #4, it shows you where the Analyze This button sends you. According to checks, no data from my HJT scan/log was sent at that time. Anyone having this actually happen?

Ron

P.S. Note GeekstoGo is fourth down on the list of recommended forums to use for HJT logs.

Edited by Major Payne, 12 December 2007 - 06:40 PM.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
As an added note, the author of that article owns this website (and WTT).

The Analyze This "function" is not a necessary part of HJT. You may feel free to use HJT, we just recommend that you do not use the Analyze This "function".

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Oh Ok.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're welcome. Just remember from post #2, that the Malware Experts here will walk you through the process using HJT. If their directions are followed, you will not be asked to click on something in HJT that is not necessary and you will get through the process painlessly.

Ron

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts

If their directions are followed, you will not be asked to click on something in HJT that is not necessary and you will get through the process painlessly.

Ok dokey. :)

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts

[snap]and you will get through the process painlessly.[/snap]

Or paynelessly :)

Sorry, I just had to :)

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper