Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Copying windows updates

• Please log in to reply

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Hi guys,

I want to format my computer due to it running really slow and place a fresh install of windows on it.

I would like to no if there is anyway that you can burn to CD the windows updates that i have already downloaded and installed
so that i don't have to download 50+ updates for the computer. Does anybody no how to do this??

Any help would be much appreciated,

Troppo.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Many ways to do it, many programs to do it with.
A simple way is to access the Windows catalogue from the Windows Update site, or alternatively an option is available to download monthly security updates as a CD image file.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Neil, I believe he wants to save the updates already on his computer and I don't know of any way you can do that.

What you can do is download them all again from

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows

and save them so in the future you'll have them. This is a lot easier than trying to download them from the MS site. It can be done but takes a lot more work.

http://windowsxp.mvp...saveupdates.htm

Damien Kane

Damien Kane

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Have a look for Autopatcher as a torrent download. It'll be around 400mb. There used to be a website but I understand Microsoft forced them to take it down. Autopatcher includes WMP11, IE7 and a bunch of other stuff, too.

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Thanks all for the replies,

Thats so frustrating that either way you have to download something in order to update the computer that you have aldready downloaded

Microsoft....can't they ever make life easy???

I will try to look for that auto patcher hopefully that will help.

Does it contain everything??? up to a certain date?

Cheers,
Troppo.

Damien Kane

Damien Kane

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Depends on the Autopatcher version - torrents usually have the dates listed. Last one I got was September 07 which is good.

Of course, you can do what many people seem to be doing these days and switch to Linux (Ubuntu seems to be getting very popular) and of course, most of it, including the OS, is free, with less hackers, no viruses and very few problems.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I would avoid a torrent download of anything, especially something as critical as Windows updates. Take the time to download them from the site I provided. It's pretty easy, just takes some time. When you get everything downloaded, burn it to CD then you can use it to update from after the install.

I use Windows Updates, set to notify mode but I still download all the updates and keep them handy since I also yse a program called nLite to keep an updated copy of my XP install CD at SP2 + all Updates. That way, when ever I do a reinstall, when it ends, I'm pretty much done as far as Windows Updates are concerned, sucne they are already slipstreamed into the CD I installed from. See here: http://www.nliteos.com. That may be your best method.

Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
As already mentioned, nlite works great for slipstreaming an XP disc. One can also do so manually, and I can give you a link to a tutorial I wrote on doing so elsewhere, if you'd like.

Edited by Dngrsone, 12 December 2007 - 07:23 PM.