Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Booting Issue

• Please log in to reply

darktrance

darktrance

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all, newbie obviously.

I'm having trouble with my PC all of a sudden. I decided to do the dreaded move around the desk and clean everything trick because things were getting dusty. The computer was working fine before. After putting everything back together, my computer will no longer start up. When I attached the power cord it made a click, followed by a quiet, continuous high pitched noise coming from somewhere (power source maybe?). When I try to power it up, all the fans and lights kick on for a split second, then stop. Three seconds later, they try again and stop, and again and again til I pull the power cord.

I didn't do anything to the PC itself while I was cleaning, just moved it and reconnected everything. I tried putting the power cord into various outputs thinking that could be it, but it didn't help.

Sorry if this is an easy answer or already posted, a Google search proved that finding specific issues was like a needle in a haystack.

Advertisements

nicmz1772

nicmz1772

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey there, looks like you signed up for this site for the same reason I did. Read my posts, hope this link takes you there, if not I am sure you can search by my username. Mine is very similar, sounds like the computer is trying...but cannot make it the entire way.
http://www.geekstogo...view=getnewpost

good luck
~Nic

darktrance

darktrance

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the heads up! I checked out the thread and tried some of the stuff in there, but nothing helped. And I can't download anything since I can't even get it to power up...

So I figured it may be a power supply issue, and I swapped an old spare in there. Now when I power it on, everything starts going alright... for a second. Then I get one long beep and three shorts beeps, followed by a system power down. I checked around, some sites says keyboard issue (uhh...), while others say memory (I tried swapping sticks, one at a time, ect, nothing). This is turning into a lot of fun... :)

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
If it is the power supply, your computer wouldn't even have worked.

Try disconnecting ALL of the wires and replacing them back into where they were ORIGINALLY. Look at the wires, and if there's any dust at the sensitive parts, it might cause your computer to malfunction. It would not be a malware infection/hardware problem, but if you accidently dropped any of them it might have got wrecked inside.

~Kelvin

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
If it is the memory than lave only one on the mother board and try to boot. If you get the same beep code try a different memory stick.
You can also make sure that the graphics card is in properly (or take out and put back in.)

When you do this disconnect the power supply.

You should also disconnect the CD/DVD and hard drive if the power supply is older so you don't drain it. The old supply may not have enough watt for the computer.
Also check that the cpu fan is working.

Edited by vally, 13 December 2007 - 06:06 AM.

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Also, determine where the sound is coming from. It could probably come from the PSU. Just to check, listen carefully to the sound.

Has the PSU been dropped or anyhow damaged before? If so, then it might be the cause of the problem.

~Kelvin

Damien Kane

Damien Kane

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
I had this problem with a friend's computer and ended up putting in part by part starting with just the power supply then the CPU and fan, then added IDE devices such as hard drives and CD drives, and going to BIOS only for a few minutes each time to make sure it was consistent. After I built the entire system part by part, test by test, there was nothing wrong with it. Go figure!

I was thinking at the time it was a device conflict caused by putting everything in place at once, but from what I've read it might've been a memory issue. I remember wanting to kick something.