Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Proxy...

• Please log in to reply

PANCAK3

PANCAK3

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hi, I'm new to this whole proxy business. I found some proxy addons for firefox (switchproxy and foxyproxy). But they both somehow wont load any page.
Also tried Anonymizer...but it seems a bit too slow.

Is this always the case that you have to sacrifice internet speed when you are connected through a proxy?

I also heard that many proxy servers are scam. So can anyone provide hmm "fast and reliable" proxy servers?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Damien Kane

Damien Kane

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
There are two popular providers: Jap, which used to be free and has now switched to a paying service (at last look, anyhow) but I've been using Tor (The Tor Project) for a while. It's now easy to install, but you have to configure things manually, although tools like Firefox's Tor button may help.

To be honest, I don't use the Tor button because it only worked half the time.

To download Tor, go to www.torproject.org

Usually with proxy servers, you sacrifice speed for anonymity, especially if people use it for large downloads, torrents, etc. If you want a proxy for this purpose, try something other than Tor.

I used a piece of software called GhostSurf for a while. It used to be a one-off fee, but now it's a yearly fee for service, same as an antivirus subscription. It used to work well, but I switched to Tor because every time I did an IP lookup, I was never cloaked!!

To manually configure Tor after install, use 127.0.0.1 on port 8118.

Or, just Google for a list of proxy servers. There's a lot of software that you pay for that does the searching for you, but if you just want something simple, go Tor.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
What are you trying to accomplish by using the proxy site? Knowing that would help us recommend alternatives.
Johanna

PANCAK3

PANCAK3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hmm just for daily surfing + online banking...nothing else really.

In that case, would using a proxy help? (in terms of safety?)
or use nothing but just FF?

and once again, i'm new to this stuff...

Damien Kane

Damien Kane

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
When you think about proxies and that the information you submit and collect from the internet bounces through various computers, I feel safer not using one unless it's tunnelled or encrypted, so that the computers you're bouncing off can't hack in to the information.

Banking, for example, is usually done in a browser with a secure socket layer (the padlock in the corner), and that should be enough protection. Proxies are good for anonymity and fooling sites into knowing where you are. For example:

There's a few free offers to download software on the proviso that you're a resident of XX country, but when I register from an Australian IP address, it tells me I have to reside in XX country. So, I find a proxy in XX country and can register. hehe.

If you want a secure proxy connection that hackers can't break into, you'll probably end up paying for it. I understand Tenebril's GhostSurf is one of the better ones and even hides the information from your ISP through a security layer (http://www.tenebril.com/consumer/), but as always, it's best to shop around. GhostSurf has it's flaws.

Besides, hackers might think that hacking a proxified connection is more of a challenge ..!

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts

even hides the information from your ISP

As in cloaking your where you have been? I thought no matter what you did your ISP always has a log of where you have been........

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
there are no proxy services that will keep your traffic hidden from your ISP...they might not know the exact content of your traffic (if the tunnel is encrypted) but they can track the packet through the anonymity networks that proxies are using....any proxy service (even TOR) doesn't start working on your traffic untill you connect to their servers...so there's always at least one or two hops across the internet before you're actually anonymous

The only way to be completely secure through the whole trip is to encrypt your traffic at the source (i.e. your PC)...at the risk of being a spammer (i'm sorry i really love this thing) check out the IronKey it's a USB drive that encrypts all your data...but it's also got a secured version of firefox built in that will encrypt your traffic at the source...then push it through IronKey's private version of the TOR network...so your traffic is encrypted across the entire path....and once you hit the TOR bridgehead it's anonymous

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
So if I used this IRONKEY I would be totally cloaked? I have a cable internet connection. Would using the IRONKEY slow you down?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
any proxying service will slow you down since you're taking a very indirect route to the destination

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Krusha-
Forget being cloaked, anonymous or invisible on the Internet. No matter what you do or where you go, you leave a trail. The best someone can do is be "discreet", which means "not as likely to be noticed". Just because you are disguising yourself doesn't make you any less vulnerable to malware or people who have the authority to snoop. Hiding behind a proxy only gives a false sense of security while it's slowing down your surfing.
Johanna

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts
Ok thanks! Still looks like a cool device!