Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory upgrade, Can I --

• Please log in to reply

rustyagain

rustyagain

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
My computer has only two memory slots which at present have 2 x 512 mb sticks of DDR2 PC2-4200 (533MHz) DIMMs.
I am considering replacing both 512 sticks with 1 GB ones and would appreciate if some one could advise me if
a) is it possible & b) is it worth while to fit PC2-5300 677MHz ram as opposed to PC2-4200 533MHz

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Can you give us the model number of your motherboard?
The capacity will make a large difference, depending on how much you multi task. The frequency difference won't give a huge advantage.
James

rustyagain

rustyagain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Hi James, thanks for your quick reply
Had a peculiarity in that both the Kingston test & SiSoftware Sandra are saying I have only 1 x 512mb with the spare bank free while both “Everset” & “aida32” show the full 1 MB
Following information from SiSoftware Sandra
SiSoftware Sandra
Chipset 1
Model : Elitegroup Computer Sys 82945P Processor to I/O Controller
Revision : I2
Bus : Intel AGTL+
Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 200MHz (800MHz data rate)
Maximum FSB Speed : 4x 267MHz (1068MHz data rate)
Width : 64-bit
I/O Queue Depth : 12 request(s)
Maximum Bus Bandwidth : 6400MB/s (estimated)

Everst says
The motherboard chipset is Intel “i945G”

Rgds rusty

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Can you use Everest and give the make and model of the motherboard itself NOT the chipset.

The info you provided thus far really doesn't help much. :)

Murray

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Not trying to be difficult, but I'm not sure what other information is needed. I don't think there is a 945 mobo out there that won't support 2G of RAM. James pretty much answered his question in his first post. Yes, you can upgrade to 2G which will give a noticable performance boost. And no, increasing from 533MHz to 677MHz won't make a noticable difference. Buy whichever ones you get a better price on.

Edited by kidnova, 13 December 2007 - 01:07 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
A quick and easy way to check is to run the online scan at http://www.crucial.com/ Crucial make very good memory, but you don't necessarily have to purchase from them. Just take the information about your system that you need and then you can get compatible memory modules from wherever you want.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
1Gb of ram will probably cost you more than 2Gb of ram right now, so getting a set of 2 x 1Gb will be better.

Soorena

EDIT: If you mobo is compatible with DDR2 800 then thats probably the best choice.

Edited by SOORENA, 16 December 2007 - 03:23 PM.