Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow performance despite 2GB memory

• Please log in to reply

multiplex77

multiplex77

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi,

I’m experiencing very slow performance on my WinXP Pro laptop. Despite having a whopping 2GB of memory, it takes ages to open/switch windows and launch application. Here are what I’ve taken from my Task Manager:

Physical Memory
Total: 2,096,432K
Available: 604,800K
System Cache: 790,920K

Processes
Rtvscan.exe – 54,608K
Iexplore.exe – 39,700K
Outlook.exe – 38,600K
Svchost.exe – 29,156K
Winword.exe – 25,768K
Virtual PC.exe 20,948K
Msnmsgr.exe – 11,692K
Explorer.exe – 8,912K
WLLoginProxy.exe – 8,044K
Other processes are below 8,000K

Could anyone explain what could be hogging my memory? Or is this something to do with my CPU (1.8GHz)?

Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
More likely CPU. Use free Process Explorer to see: http://www.microsoft...ssExplorer.mspx

multiplex77

multiplex77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Thanks

I've downloaded and run Process Explorer. What should I be looking out for? I see my System Idle Process uses 39-85% CPU. All the other apps don't use more than 40% of CPU. (Virtual PC is the second biggest after SYstem Idle Process.)

Is this something unusual?

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
System Idle is just the amount of CPU cycles not being used at present. High System Idle= good.

Please open the "view" menu from the top of Procexp and choose "Select Columns." Then mark the entry for 'CPU Time' from the "Process Performance" tab.

Once set, click the header for CPU Time. Now the process that has been using the most CPU cycles this session will be at the top of the list right under System Idle. That should be your culprit.

How much do you employ 'Virtual PC?' If only once in a while, Returnil will be much less resource demanding, and offers complete virtualization of the entire system with reference to the local system drive.