Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GATEWAY HELP

• Please log in to reply

MIDNIGHTTOKER4U

MIDNIGHTTOKER4U

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a gateway E-1800 4000757 desktop computer. 1.20gigs. I lost my operating systems disk and i need to reinstall it. Gateway wants to charge me for a replacment because it is an old disk. I can't afford it. Can anyone help me?

From a PM to Ax238:

I'm running windows xp pro. What happened is, I lost the operations disk to my gateway so i had to reboot it, but the operations disk with windows xp goes to a hp or compaq computer. Now it tells me i do not have the proper code to register the windows product and i am given 30 days to register. So i have to format my hard drive and reboot with the wrong operations disk and i lose all my programs i have every 30 days. That is why i need the operations disk of a gateway so i can register with windows.

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello MIDNIGHTTOKER4U and welcome to Geeks to Go!

That's too bad that you lost it. You may be able to find a better deal online than what they want to charge you. Be careful if you look though, make sure it is a genuine copy of Windows XP. Do you have XP Home or XP Pro?

May I ask what is so wrong with your system that you need to reinstall the operating system? Maybe it is something we can help you with.

Regards,

Ax

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
How much is Gateway wanting to charge you for a recovery disk?