Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my Mobo Gone? :(:(

• Please log in to reply

ghostdogg678

ghostdogg678

• Pip
  • 1 posts
well i ordered my very first build last week. And well only a couple had arrived today which was the psu, case, mobo. I wanted to test the fans and psu so i connected it to the mobo. I connected the mobo to the case/psu but the mobo did not include any screws but the case did. So i used the screw but i didnt know at the time that i was suppose to use the golden risers i thought i could use them as the screws. So i placed the mobo on the case. Am i screwed? IM really scared and i wont really know until i get the rest of my stuff tomorrow. THe case is ... http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811208009 oh and i also had to hold it from the bottom because the anti static bag was tight but i did ground myself before i did

Advertisements

Subaru

Subaru

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Well i don't know much but... you just bought a really really cheap case. Which isn't a good thing if your droping a couple C notes into it.

Edited by Subaru, 12 December 2007 - 11:51 PM.

Subaru

Subaru

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Edited by Subaru, 12 December 2007 - 11:51 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The "golden risers" are what we call standoffs. These are a critical part of system building, and they are what keeps the motherboard off the case so that it does not cause an electrical short. It will be difficult to tell if you are screwed until you have the rest of the components. You did not tell us exactly what happened.

Do not connect everything up and "fire" it up until you have all components. It's possible that you have damaged the motherboard, in which case, your system will not function correctly once you get all the components and connect them properly. That being said, it's difficult to give an accurate assessment when we cannot see the system and test it physically.

Yes that is a cheap case, but if everything was done correctly it should be okay. As long as the motherboard stayed on the anti-static bag and you grounded yourself before use, hopefully it will still be okay. Keep your fingers crossed and let us know what happens when you get the rest of the components.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Unless you sent electricity through the system, it is unlikely that what you did will damage anything. Just make sure you correct this before you plug in the PSU! (Even when the system is not on, the PSU still sends electricity to the mobo.)