Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help me!

• Please log in to reply

Gameplayer

Gameplayer

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
First, my computer was very slow after many installations and uninstallations of programs etc.
And therefore I formated and reinstalled Windows XP.
But during the installation of XP something went wrong, I think.
Because after that, my computer cannot install any Windows update anymore.
I only get an error message that says: the following updates did not install (which is none).

The second problem is that one partition (from the 2:nd harddrive) is always missing after startup.
So after every time I have started my computer I have to run PartitionMagic and choose "Convert" and give the partition a new label (which is the same drive letter for all times).

The third problem is that the Explorer is more unstable now and freezes from time to time and needs to shut down and restart. (Pretty annoying).

My computer is not working normal now.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The question is whether your computer was slow, before the format, because of numerous install/uninstall. Maybe there was something else involved..

1: Please run disk cleanup and disk defragmenter on all your hard disks and partitions.

2: Run full chkdsk of all your disks and partitions.

3: Did you check your hard disks for malware? Please do this.

4: Aren't your disks too full? They should have at least 15 percent free space.

All this is aimed to solve the problems you mentioned or to prepare your system for a new installation. If it's still no good I suggest reinstallation. If you do, please delete the system partition in the process and run full format (not quick).

Gameplayer

Gameplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Now I have did everything that you wrote.
Maybe the computer is a little bit better now.
But still it is the fact that one drive is ALWAYS missing after I have start up my computer, so I have to run PartitionMagic all the time after startup.
I don't understand why one partition is missing?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Did you reformat and reinstall xp?

Gameplayer

Gameplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
No I have not formated yet, because I don't know how to format C:
The first time I formated the harddrive, only the D: was formatted, and not C:
I only erased all the files and folders on C:
So the problem is now how do I format C: ??

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Let me see if I understand correctly: You have two hard disks in your computer, each devided into two partitions. Disk 1 is devided to C and D. Disk 2 is also partitioned, the letters assigned to to the partitions you didn't mention. One of the partitions on disk 2 is not showing up after bootup.

You installed XP on D partition and deleted everything from C which in now empty.

Question: Where is the data that you want to save located?

Please do the following: Backup all your important dataq to disk 2, to the partition that always show up. Open the computer box and physically disconnect the cables (flat cable and power cable) that are connected to drive 2.

You are left with disk 1 only and your valuable data is saved. Now start the Setup of xp again and on the first opportunity choose new installation of XP. At some point you will be shown the two paritions on disk 1 and asked what you want to do. Choose to delete them (that is done one partition at a time. Just follow the instructions). What you will see now is the volume of the entire disk marked as RAW.

Now recreate the partitions on drive 1.My advice is to leave at least 50 Gig for partition C. Choose to install XP on C. When given the format options choose NTFS (full format, not quick) and continue with the installation.

After the installation is complete you will have to format the second partition which you created, to make it workable. When all is done switch off the computer, reconnect the cables to disk 2 and reboot.

Gameplayer

Gameplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Thank you for your help!
Now it is working good, and all Windows updates was installed perfectly!
Btw, it was the first partition on the 2:nd hard drive that it was startup problem with, but now all problems are solved. :-D

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.