Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mac files-quick question

• Please log in to reply

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
A buddy of mine has asked me to help her move some large files from her Mac to her new Windows machine. I have never even played on a Mac, so my question is, is this simple? Can I just hook up my external hard drive, copy them over and then put them on her windows machine? Just didn't want to sound stupid when I got to her house. TIA.

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Yes, it is. Just navigate to the folder you want, copy those files onto your external, then plug it into her Windows computer and paste it.

When I was staying in Australia for the whole of last year, I used to go to school there, and whenever we have a computer class I'd be surfing the Web, listening to music and downloading files, so I usually have to bring my pendrive (external is too visible) to school to copy those files. Call that utilizing bandwidth! :)

~Kelvin

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Thanks Kelvin. I didn't know if there was something different that I needed to do because it was a Mac. :)

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
She is having trouble getting Quicken over onto the Windows machine. She has the parallels installed on the Mac where she can run Windows on her Mac. But she can not drop and drag because it doesn't recognize Quicken during the drop and drag process. She also has the same problem with itunes but I think I walked her through that. Does anyone know if quicken has some permission/denial that doesn't allow you to transfer? I hope I'm making sense. I just never have even tried a Mac except in the Apple store when my kids were messing around with ipods, etc. thanks in advance.

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Is she using this? If so, then it's a Mac version. Or, is she using the Windows version?

~Kelvin

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Iwill find out. I think it's the Windows version.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
She is using Windows version.

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Is she installing it onto the new computer or just copying the whole folder over?

~Kelvin

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I think she wants to transfer all her data that has been logged into quicken over there, so I imagine she wants to copy the whole folder instead of a clean reinstall. I have a feeling that may be part of the problem. I don't use quicken either but I was wondering if there was some protection program built in or if it was a Mac-Windows problem. I haven't gone over there yet because I was waiting to find out if there were any Mac complications yet. thanks Kelvin. You get a gold star in my book if that counts for anything. :)

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
It is possible to do so with an install.

First, may I ask her to provide me with a full screenshot of the whole Quicken folder on her Windows?

EDIT: Oh, and yes, you or her might need to research on where the saved information that she opens on her old Windows is stored (which folder is it in).

~Kelvin

Edited by Kelvin, 14 December 2007 - 10:37 AM.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I will get in touch with her. Thanks. :)

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Just to clarify: You want a screenshot of the windows parallel folder on her MAC, right? That's where all her data is. BTW: I can research this. I was just trying to do some legwork before I went up to her house. If there is a place to look, I will do it Kelvin. I don't want to bog you down. :)

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
No, I mean the Quicken folder's contents. Sorry for not elaborating further.

Well, I need a screenshot of what's inside the folder. And, also if possible, I need you to find out where are the stuff she wants to keep stored. EG: Let's say she wants a plugin moved over to her new Windows system, and the plugins are in C:\Program Files\Quicken\Plugins on her Mac. So, you'll need to notify me that the plugins are in C:\Program Files\Quicken\Plugins.

~Kelvin

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
I just emailed her. Thanks.

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Ok then, I'll look forward for the reply :)

Anyway, if your friend isn't really computer-savvy, then you might as well just ask her to provide a screenshot.

~Kelvin